you still love that chicken from Popeye's?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I married the small dairy farmers daughter. Most people have no clue as to where their food comes from or how it just magically appears all nicely packaged at the grocery. My father was born in 1911 in rural Kentucky. One of his sayings was "time to go out and kill something for breakfast"
A few years back there was a abattoir scandal about the treatment of Australian cattle in Indonesia.
So a riding friend decided to take his economics classes of seniour students ( 16-18 year olds ) on a field trip to a local abattoir as part of a paddock to plate project.
Apparently the school students were traumatised by the sight of the animals being slaughtered so was both suspended & parents wanted him to face child abuse charges .
Like you both, he was a country lad so was quite familiar with the fact for a human to eat, something else ( plant or animal ) has to die but apparently this idea traumatises city kids.
I rather think Bambi has a lot to answer for and perhaps Disney is the one who should be facing charges
I am a city lad but we used to go bush to catch rabbits mainly ( by hand ) skin them then cook them if they were clean.
The skins were either tanned & used as fur or shaved tanned and used as leather . We would have been10 to 16 and for us it was highlight of the year and used as an reward.
Now 50 years latter it is apparently child abuse .

AdamE

Threads
Best Possum to eat is the Himalayan Possum...
You find Himalayan on the side of the road..........
Way back in the '80s I was rehabbing houses in the Northern Liberties section of Philly. The next door neighbor (a really sweet old black woman) asked me and my brother if we wanted some Possum stew. She said her son got them down by the airport. We politely declined...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Way back in the '80s I was rehabbing houses in the Northern Liberties section of Philly. The next door neighbor (a really sweet old black woman) asked me and my brother if we wanted some Possum stew. She said her son got them down by the airport. We politely declined...
What's wrong with possum stew? C'mon man!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few years back there was a abattoir scandal about the treatment of Australian cattle in Indonesia.
So a riding friend decided to take his economics classes of seniour students ( 16-18 year olds ) on a field trip to a local abattoir as part of a paddock to plate project.
Apparently the school students were traumatised by the sight of the animals being slaughtered so was both suspended & parents wanted him to face child abuse charges .
Like you both, he was a country lad so was quite familiar with the fact for a human to eat, something else ( plant or animal ) has to die but apparently this idea traumatises city kids.
I rather think Bambi has a lot to answer for and perhaps Disney is the one who should be facing charges
I am a city lad but we used to go bush to catch rabbits mainly ( by hand ) skin them then cook them if they were clean.
The skins were either tanned & used as fur or shaved tanned and used as leather . We would have been10 to 16 and for us it was highlight of the year and used as an reward.
Now 50 years latter it is apparently child abuse .
I have always said Bambi is one of the worst movies ever. It humanizes wild animals and portrays the hunter as being evil and kills indiscriminately walking in the woods shooting at anything that moves. Really pisses off us who are ethical and law abiding hunters. We now have second generation people who got their wildlife management opinions from watching a movie as a child.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Apparently you have never been around any of those Alabama fools. They shoot before verifying the target and the backstop. They have even been known to shoot each other. But of course most time they are already stoned. When my shop was in Alabama I lost several windows to fool bird hunters with shotguns.

Last edited: