Yesterday

Cusser

Threads
Yesterday, went to mow some tumbleweeds with my 2005 LT1000 lawn tractor.
1. Found a tire was flat; added slime, pumped it up.
2. After 20 minutes of mowing, and moving to the front, my deck belt/blade engagement cable failed. Since I had a new spare one, I didn't try to use a hose clamp to self-engineer attachment to the handle/rod.
DSC08323.JPG
3. A little later my left mandrel/spindle locked up, stripped out the top pulley. I also had a spare pulley (and spare mandrels) so I simply swapped in a new one.
DSC08324.JPG

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it rains it pours at your house. Get that ol' girl running and slay some grass.

slomo

Cusser

Threads
Have hardly mowed in the last 12 months, lack of rain. So mostly tumbleweeds.

Cusser

Threads
Update: a few days ago - still no rain - I was finishing up the tumbleweeds mowing. The left lawn tractor spindle broke, but I had a spare here.
DSC08337.JPG

But that caused the top pulley to grind through the left brake bar; since I didn't know that a shop 25 miles away would have such part, I just repaired that temporarily with part of an L- bracket I had here and 4 rivets. All fixed now. New brackets on order.
DSC08335.JPG

DSC08336.JPG

Cusser

Threads
1. Found a tire was flat; added slime, pumped it up.
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a replacement rear tire yesterday....where the leak showed externally did not go through, apparently air was working its way around to escape.

Also yesterday I bought a non-pneumatic replacement tire for my wheelbarrow at Harbor Freight; the inner tube had been patched several times, and it's a pain in the butt to get the inner tube out and back in; and there are lots of thorns. Harbor Freight tire/wheel, about $23.

Cusser

Threads
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a replacement rear tire yesterday....where the leak showed externally did not go through, apparently air was working its way around to escape.
I needed a new lawn tractor tire (rear, 18x9.5-8 NHS), ordered one through Amazon; it arrived with clear tape holding on the shipping label, but so tight it deformed the tire. I had tried plenty of Slime, could not do a plug or patch as it appeared that the hole only went through to the inner plies, then leaked somewhere else.

Anyway, like most of us, I reviewed Google and YouTube to figure out how to replace the tire. Let's just say that it was a real challenge, both getting the old tire off, getting the new tire on, and setting the bead/filling with air, and did not go as readily as it did for the guys in the YouTube videos. Because the tire was deformed in shipping, I could not use the rope/strap technique to seat the bead, was fortunate to get that seated and filled with air.

I would say the process took almost 3 hours over two days, removed the old tire first day, the remainder the second.

If I need to ever do another one, I will consider a tire changer from Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=tire changer

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have a Kawasaki Mule utility vehicle, tires are 22x9x10 and 22x11x10 rears... tires have always been a PITA to get off... almost ruined a wheel once... i found it's cheaper to go to my local tire shop that charges $10 a tire while i sit on a bench.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trick to anyone who trys to work with a deformed tire. Let it sit in the hot sun for a couple of hours or a bath of hot water. Rachet straps work better than the rope method, wider the better.