Yardman series 771 wiring question

boardbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello there,

A few weeks ago I lent someone my yardman (model 13ao771h055) and they put a hook attached to a tow rope in the opening just behind the battery because it didn't fit into the tow point. Anyway the actually hooked the wiring harness as well. When they made a left turn the hook came out of the hold and they were towing by the wiring harness. wish they hadn't shut it off out in the field; had to push it all the way back.

The only thing I can see is that a green wire that comes out of the harness was pulled or broken. The problem is I cannot see from where. See the photo, but the fuse usually sits about where it is in the photo and that wire doesn't easily reach the solenoid (?) and I can't see where it would go into any of the safety switches (it won't even reach). Maybe the wire broke twice so isn't as long as it should be?
I tired searching for diagrams and they only thing I could find is a wiring diagram showing a green wire going to the battery ground wire where it attaches to the chassis. In this case I guess that would be bolt that attaches the solenoid to the frame, but when I removed that bolt to get a good look at the solenoid I didn't see a connector or even a remnant of wire.

Anyone that could help me I would greatly appreciate.

yes, the mower looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. It's been used HARD and until this happened worked fine. It spent 10+ years mowing and pulling around a brush cutter over rough country yards and fields. You can see the welds I made the first and only time I used a welder when the brush cutter started actually tearing the frame box - might of hit a few or a hundred trees while mowing in the tight places. I know it's kinda startling when that tree jerks the mower to a stop. Dang thing keeps going though! $900 and 12+ years later I think I got value for money. It mows where I'm afraid to take my $3K cub cadet.

TIA
Boardbum

Attachments

• yardman1.resized.jpg
    yardman1.resized.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 19
  • yardman2.resized.jpg
    yardman2.resized.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 16

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would just a terminal and ground it to the frame.

boardbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you think it's a ground? I couldn't find anything confirming that anywhere except the image for wiring I found on google. It didn't say it was specific to my model; it could have been for something 20 years old brand new. I tried touching the bare wire against bare metal on the battery ground wire (without putting a terminal end on it to screw it to the frame) but still wouldn't start. I wonder if buying a service manual would give me the information.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At the front corner I can see what looks like a white plastic tab
Pull it down
If it reveals a blade contact then that green goes to the blade
No real need for the insulated plug as it is a ground wire .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
is there two wires on the starter solenoid as one is a ground wire?

Here the the wiring diagram for the 700 series without the RMC module. Of course MTD doesn't show the four post solenoid as having a grounding wire.
1652018000328.png
the 1652018056031.pngis frame grounding.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
there could also be internal damage in the wires from stretching them. Some of it may not even show up until it has been used for awhile.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I some times wonder what sort of retard mower companies pay to make these total rubbish wiring diagrams
No wonder people have troubles understanding the electronics
So they show a solenoid with a trigger wire & no ground.
Must be for Californian self generating electricity .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I some times wonder what sort of retard mower companies pay to make these total rubbish wiring diagrams
No wonder people have troubles understanding the electronics
So they show a solenoid with a trigger wire & no ground.
Must be for Californian self generating electricity .
starter does not show a ground either. That said, state just announced it will be 1700 megawatts hours short on power this summer at peak afternoon and evening hours. A couple months ago the state came out with a study that in 2030 it will need 5500 megawatt hours more daily to charge the EV's that will be sold by 2030. That is three nuclear power plants to just cover those and current needs @ 100% capacity. Making matters worse by 2035 if one does the math that it takes 3 kWh per mile driven, the state will need to add 13.13 kWh per day per EV that will be sold when new gasoline cars are banned by 2035. And all the small engines that will start being replaced next year are another burden. I calculate the state will need an additional 20,000 megawatt hours daily to service those cars @100% capacity. That is how irrational the state is. Plus normal growth, that is 12 to 15 nuclear power plants the size of Diablo Canyon, which was supposed to be shutdown permanently in 2025 but the state decided last week to ask PGE to upgrade it and also apply to extend the license for it. That is going to piss off the anti-nuclear environmentalists assuming we live that long with a mad man like Putin threatening the west with nukes.

Oh yeah - in the USA the wind generally blows from Caliornia over the rest of the USA. Any nuclear accidents in California will contaminate the rest of the USA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WE are going off topic a bit but you may have noticed that I have been saying that EV's & ETools are not the answer to pollution for as long as I have been on this forum
Being an ex-metallurgist I keep an interest in the metals industry and subscribe to a lot of journals .
The world can not go totally EV because we can not make the same number of EV's that there are currently IC engines because there is not enough Copper, Nickel, Cobalt & Niobium know to exist to make them with and this is assuming a 100% recovery of all scrap .
Battery powered anything has it's place which is mostly convienance but they are not the solution to environmental pollution and definately not the solution to the climate crisis a the CO2 embedded in the making of an EV is roughly the same as the CO2 embedded in an IC vehicle + 5 years tail pipe emissions in OZ & the USA and nearly 10 years for the EU .
When any technology is new profit margins are astronomical , remember what IC mowers used to cost back in the 50's or ride on cost on the 60's.
SO our saviour Elon Musk is just spruking for the purpose of stuffing his pockets .
And add to your electricity use the astronomical amount of energy needed to power data processing hubs so your smart fridge can tell it's dumb owner that the mkl is about to pass it's use by date .

boardbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone. I'll check back in with results this weekend when I get a chance to work on it. Forums have been such a great resource since the days of BBS's back in the 90!
Thanks