Yard Machines Won''t Srart

snow11

Forum Newbie
Threads
My yard machines has some kind of issue.
Model number 13a6673g118
I thought is was the solenoid being the old one was broken.
So all I'm getting is a clicking noice from the solenoid and the red cable is getting really hot .
It will not turn over at all

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My yard machines has som kind of issue.
Model number 13a6673g118
I thought is was the solenoid being the old one was broken.
So all I'm getting is a clicking noice from the solenoid and the red cable is getting reall6 hot .
It will not turn over at all

Oh really, a carb solenoid starting issue? I delete all mine by snipping the plunger tipped part that stops the fuel from entering the carb jet. Never have this issue again. Remove the 12v wire, won't need that anymore. All I do now is shut the fuel OFF about 30 seconds prior to finish cutting the yard.

You can use a bolt and copper flat washer to plug the hole up. Think someone makes a solenoid delete kit maybe??

slomo

snow11

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I tried to by pass the solenoid to start it with a jumper pack now the starter isn't working so I pulled it and bench test work fine on the bench

snow11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got to run remember the the ground has to go on the frame from the solenoid.
Lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try to rotate the engine by hand
If it is seized or hydro locked the starter will not be able to crank the engine

cuckoochris

Threads
Tecumseh engine? Could be the pressure release on the cam is broken off. Just had to replace mine for the same problem you're having.

mitchstein443

Threads
If the engine is not cranking:
I just had a similar situation. Firsthing I did was bypass the solenoid with a jumping cable and that seemed to work for about 20 consecutive starts and then that stopped working. So I went to remove the starter from the engine and found that the positive post on the starter was loose. it built up carbon between the post and the nut and the wire. so a quick wirebrushing and tightening of the post nut, wirebrushing the contact of the wire and I was back in business.

Since that happened, I had severl starters that I had replaced for neighbors sitting in my junk pile, I took each one, opened them up, cleaned up real good tightened that post nut up and now 3 out of 5 are working starters again. 2 of them need new "brushes".. So it seems to be an issue more often then not.. at least 3 out of 5 times from last season..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine is not cranking:
I just had a similar situation. Firsthing I did was bypass the solenoid with a jumping cable and that seemed to work for about 20 consecutive starts and then that stopped working. So I went to remove the starter from the engine and found that the positive post on the starter was loose. it built up carbon between the post and the nut and the wire. so a quick wirebrushing and tightening of the post nut, wirebrushing the contact of the wire and I was back in business.

Since that happened, I had severl starters that I had replaced for neighbors sitting in my junk pile, I took each one, opened them up, cleaned up real good tightened that post nut up and now 3 out of 5 are working starters again. 2 of them need new "brushes".. So it seems to be an issue more often then not.. at least 3 out of 5 times from last season..
This happens because the nuts corrode on the bolt and the whole stud turns
To stop this you hold the lock nut with a thinned open ender when you undo the end nut
And of course grease the threads only when reassembling