Yard Machines Tractor Cuts Off After 20 minutes

fieldsjkk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, thanks for allowing me into this forum. I have a Yard Machines lawn tractor that I purchased through Home Depot about four years ago. I have a 1 acre yard that I cut about once per week. Years 1-3 were great. No issues. I always run non-ethanol fuel. I change the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug regularly. For the last few months the tractor starts just fine and runs great for about 20 minutes. Then the tractor will sputter a few times and then cut out. It will then not re-start easily for an hour or so. I replaced the battery last year and again today but the problem still exists. It starts and runs great for 15-20 minutes then sputters and stops. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks Joe

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The symptoms are consistant with floating debris blocking the fuel outlet in the tank
When it happens again pull the fuel line off the point nearest to the tank, loosen the fuel cap then blow back up the line
If the engine starts right up that confirms a fuel supply problem.
Being only 4 years old the fuel lines should be OK but they can go soft and collapse cutting off the fuel supply as well

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could also be the possibility of the ignition module is heat soaking and loosing spark. May need to check spark when this happens.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It does sounds like an ignition coil problem to me too.

fieldsjkk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Friends. I have cleaned the fuel lines and checked venting and flows. Everything seems fine. Filled up with non ethanol fuel as usual and the problem still continues. Runs great for about 20 minutes and then sputters and cuts off. After about 30 minutes it starts up just fine and runs again for about 10 minutes. I agree it must be a coil problem. I just ordered a new ignition coil but will probably have many questions once it arrives. Tractor is a Yard Machines with powermore engine id 4P90JUF. 1712153A1284. Any idea what the gap on the coil should be? I could not find anything in the engine manual. THANKS for all the help. I greatly appreciate it. joe

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The P90 specs requested.

The air gap should be 0.016” - 0.024” (0.4-0.6 mm).
Tighten the module mounting screws to a torque of 80 - 106 in-lbs (9 - 12 Nm).

fieldsjkk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great information. Thank You