Yard Machine: Briggs and Stratton 550 EX Spewing oil

alvadtea

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yard Machine: Briggs and Stratton 550 EX Spewing oil
I have Yard Machine: Briggs and Stratton 550 Ex Lawn Mower and I gave it a tune up in December. Today it started spewing oil all over the lawn mower. I realized that the main leak was in the back part of the motor, specifically where the oil is stored. I've posted a picture of where it's leaking. I also noticed the the oil dip stick tube was loose. In ten minutes all the oil was gone. If anyone has any idea on what happened, I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 13

waylonJ

Threads
I am pretty sure the oil tube which goes from the filler cap down to the engine (where you see the spilling) is just pressure fit onto the engine. If you remove the top shroud the oil tube should pop off. I think the shroud is the only thing putting pressure onto the tune to hold it down. I suggest you take off the top shroud (the part with the pull-start) and inspect where the bottom of the tube connects to the engine. Good luck!

alvadtea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip. My God it was an easy fix. I think it took longer to remove the top shroud. Turns out the dipstick tube is supposed to hooked on to the blower housing. Somehow the tube got loose which caused the oil to spew out. All I had to do was hook it back on and put the top shroud back on.

Thanks again!