Yard Machine Belt Issue

mcavinee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello:
I purchased a new Yard Machine with 42 inch deck and had it a couple years and the engine blew. I purchased a used one same model and that deck was rotted out (got ripped off) So, I took it off and put the new deck on. Now I cannot find a belt that will fit the deck. The one for a 42 inch deck is about an inch too big and too much slack to drive the deck. I think the belt is 96 inches in length. MTD said when I changed out the decks, that made the belt issue. So what are my options? Can I try to find a different model and see if they have a shorter belt? Thanks Mark

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you provide the model number of both mowers so we can see the differences.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From 90" to 120" there are kevlar deck belts in 1/2" increments.
I use an old 175" belt that broke to do belt size estimations .
Before that I use some 1/2" milan ( platted not twisted ) rope
If the mower has an electric PTO then it is easy
Remove the tension spring, run the rope around all the pulleys with the tension pulley at about 1/3 of its travel ( around 1" of spring stretch ) and measure the length.
For a manual PTO set it to the off position then run the belt around the pulleys, pull it snug then add 1.5" for the length .
Armed with a belt length gestimate go to one of the aftermarket parts suppliers catalogues .
They all list belts by length and find an MTD one close to your measurements .
If none there then go with your gestimate .
OR find some clot like me who has 380 different belts in stock and ask them to find one that fits.

On a manual PTO a belt that is too short the blades will not stop spinning which is not a good option but you can use it till it wears out then go one size bigger
If it is too loose then the blades will slip in heavy grass , again not a big problem

When you find a belt that works write the length under the seat or hood with a paint pen so you will know next time

FWIW
754-04060 = 961/2" is the only MTD deck belt around that size
21547027 = 95.5" Ariens deck
532 11 08-84 = 94" AYP

There are TRansmission belts as well, but I have found that some of them have different reinforcing cord sizes & positions so I try to only use deck belts on decks

mcavinee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you provide the model number of both mowers so we can see the differences.
13AN771G729 is the model I am trying to get the belt for. Serial 1C175B80044. The Deck I am using is from 13A2775S029 Serial 1C198B40097 The 96 inch belts are too long and too much slack to try to run the deck.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try changing out the deck lift arms as the two machines uses different lift arms along with different front lift rods.

mcavinee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try changing out the deck lift arms as the two machines uses different lift arms along with different front lift rods.
Good Morning:
So the lift arms actually help with the belt tension?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If they are different lengths they position the deck further rearward or forward depending on their length. I haven't this type swap out with decks but I have one destroyed 38" deck in the shop in the last 5 years.

Now Bert suggest you can try a shorter belt. But swapping the arms is worth a try as it is only your time involved. I don't have both arm styles here so I can't check them to be sure if they are different lengths.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It appears that both decks call for the same deck belt, and have the same size engine pulley. The issue may not be related to the deck change. The issue may be related in the frame flex around the engine mount that results in the front of the engine dropping about an eighth of an inch. May want to sit back and stare at the engine and frame alignment. I wouldn't be surprised if the front of the engine is setting too low. I have taken several over the years and added washers under the two front engine mounts to level the engine.

But also as Star mentions of the deck arms are different lengths can also cause the deck to sit further forward or backwards.

mcavinee

Forum Newbie
Threads
If they are different lengths they position the deck further rearward or forward depending on their length. I haven't this type swap out with decks but I have one destroyed 38" deck in the shop in the last 5 years.

Now Bert suggest you can try a shorter belt. But swapping the arms is worth a try as it is only your time involved. I don't have both arm styles here so I can't check them to be sure if they are different lengths.
Thank you. I will swap them out and see what happens. I appreciate your help.

mcavinee

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears that both decks call for the same deck belt, and have the same size engine pulley. The issue may not be related to the deck change. The issue may be related in the frame flex around the engine mount that results in the front of the engine dropping about an eighth of an inch. May want to sit back and stare at the engine and frame alignment. I wouldn't be surprised if the front of the engine is setting too low. I have taken several over the years and added washers under the two front engine mounts to level the engine.

But also as Star mentions of the deck arms are different lengths can also cause the deck to sit further forward or backwards.
I will try all the options. Thanks so much. Home Depot is probably tired of me returning belts lol