Yanmar IS2500Z loses power while mowing.

Pgnsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower cuts great for 30 minutes or so then suddenly loses power. Temp gauge shows 175F. Any ideas? Please?

Last edited:

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Check the breather filter between the two fuel tanks. If it is blocked it will cause a vacuum in the fuel tank/s and will restrict fuel flow.

A simple test, when the engine dies after those 30 minutes, is to open the fuel filler and see if you can hear the vacuum being released.

Pgnsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the breather filter between the two fuel tanks. If it is blocked it will cause a vacuum in the fuel tank/s and will restrict fuel flow.

A simple test, when the engine dies after those 30 minutes, is to open the fuel filler and see if you can hear the vacuum being released.
Thank you so much for the response. I will check that as soon as I get the mower running. Waiting on PTO belts right now. I did not know about this filter. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
Thanks again.

Pgnsd

Forum Newbie
Threads

I am convinced that you are correct about restricted fuel flow. That’s exactly what it seem like when it loses power. I don’t find a breather filter between the two tanks though and no vacuum when I loosened the fuel caps. All I find are two inline filters just before the fuel/water separator. They look like regular in line filters you can buy at any parts store. The parts diagram for this model shows a vent line for each tank. I didn’t find those either but I haven’t taken everything apart. Might one or both of the in-line filters be clogged? Seems like that would cause the engine to be immediately starved for fuel instead of running great for thirty minutes or so. I still think, as you suggested, it’s fuel starvation. Do you have any other ideas

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check if there is a in tank filter.
Lots of diesels fit tank filters.
Also try using some sort of substitute tanks , does not need to be very big 1/2 gallon would be fine.
You just need to establish if it is a fuel problem by running off the normal tanks till it play up then quickly switch to the alternative tank
Runs that tank through no problems then you have confirmed a fuel supply problem .
I do this regularly with ride ons and we even did it with a couple of skid steers.
Grass clippings find their way into the thank and form plugs at the outlet when fuel is being drawn through ( like hair in your shower ) then float away when the fuel stops being sucked out.

Pgnsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank y’all very much for your help. It WAS a fuel supply problem. I replaced the in line filter that is just before the fuel pump and that fixed it. I appreciate y’all sending me in the right direction. Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion among the parts places about which fuel filter this model calls for. Took me a while to find the right one. Again, thanks for your help. XXX

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for comming back
To end the confusion, which was the right filter ?

Pgnsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for comming back
To end the confusion, which was the right filter ?
I will find the part number for the filter. I was wrong about there being two inline filters before the water separator. I mistook the fuel pump for a filter. It’s small and looks like a filter until you see electric wires running to it.