Yamaha engines

Boit4852

Threads
As far as I ahve been able to determine, Gravely and Bad Boy are the only manufacturers using the new Yamaha engines. I would like to know if these engines are dependable and if owners are satisfied with them.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If they're anything like their motorcycle engines, they are damn near bulletproof. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I needed a mower and a Yamaha engine was an option.

pollishpickle

Threads
I have one on my 460 and after I got it repaired do to a recall that wasn't done it runs really good. It isn't as load or have that high pitch noise that the Kawasaki had. also it has plenty of power.

cruzenmike

Threads
I wonder how much different their EFI system is than Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki. Yamaha engines have been used in cars and boats with some degree of success. Without seeing them with thousands of hours on them, the least that could be done is comparing their build with other engines in the same class?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m not real happy with mine. I would not buy another mower with a Yamaha engine.

pollishpickle

Threads
I’m not real happy with mine. I would not buy another mower with a Yamaha engine.
What don't you like about it. My EFI one runs really good and is real stingy with the fuel. I can mow my place and only use about 1 1/2 gallons of gas where the Cub Cadet that had the Kow with less HP used abot 2 1/2 gallons

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What don't you like about it. My EFI one runs really good and is real stingy with the fuel. I can mow my place and only use about 1 1/2 gallons of gas where the Cub Cadet that had the Kow with less HP used abot 2 1/2 gallons
Mine is carbureted and does not run well. It’s got 80 hours on it. It will cut off after it gets hot. It will lose power after it gets hot and the power will come back up after about 10-15 seconds. The spark plugs will become lose in the heads. It’s a lemon. So far, Gravely and my servicing dealer cannot figure it out. I’m getting tired of the problems. I’ve just about had enough of the Chinese made garbage.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 2021 Gravely Pro Turn 160, with the Yamaha MX800V, went bye bye for good.
The mower was excellent in all ways except for the power plant.
It took 5 gallons of gas to mow 3 acres. My former Toro ZX5400 used around 3 gallons.
The Yamaha engines are not ready for prime time. Lessons learned.

pollishpickle

Threads
I had a Kawisaki before and my Yamaha uses less gas I can mow 3 acres and only use about 1 gallon the Kaw used about 2 gallons

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Kawisaki before and my Yamaha uses less gas I can mow 3 acres and only use about 1 gallon the Kaw used about 2 gallons
I assume that you have an EFI Yamaha engine on your mower. I mow 3 acres plus or minus. And, one gallon of gas would never come close to mowing my entire yard with any mower that I’ve owned.
My new Gravely ProTurn 260 with Kohler ZT740 is a series above my former Pro Turn 160 with Yamaha MX800V. The Kohler engine burns less fuel than the Yamaha. Both machines are carbureted engines.
Regardless, that particular Yamaha MX800V was a Dud.