XT2 Starting issues

DaveVachon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having issues with the ignition I think ,I need to put the parking brake on and then try the push button ignition 2-3-4-5 times ,sometimes more
it will eventually start most times but have had a few where I gave up
Once it starts it runs fine
Anyone have similar issues ,that were fixed without swapping ignition
its got new plugs ,battery is still strong and I've found a You Tube video or two showing that the module has a tendency to fail

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would help greatly if you posted the full model numbers & serial numbers from the mowers ID tag
From what you have written to date I gather that you have one of the keyless mowers and if so my best recommendation is to convert it back to a keyed system.
All of them seem to give a lot of trouble, none can be repaired and considering that they are a 50¢ chip with $ 5 work of plugs the hundreds of $ asked for them is robbery ,

DaveVachon

Forum Newbie
Threads
the shop is saying 150$ and they are not in stock have to be special ordered
L will look into changing to a key system thx
Its an SLX50 model #13AZA2CZ010 1B259H20190

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When presented with one of these, I go backwards through the series till I find the last one with a key and use that.
If you go to Tractordata.com you will get a listing which makes it easy to back track models .
Some times the safety switches need to be swapped out for 4 pin ones
Usually the wiring loom can stay but you need to chop off the switch plug on some on others you can use the same plug but need the terminal to be removed & rearranged .
Before you hook the battery back up remove the magneto kill wire & make doubly sure that it never gets voltage or you will kill the magneto

DaveVachon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow you are royalty More info than expected Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT is a little more tricky to do but basically you rewire to the previous model.
In most cases down here where parts prices would make NASA think twice it is actually cheaper to but the complete old loom ( if available ) and a complete set of aftermarket switches than the keyless ignition module
Down side is you will need to make or buy a Packard 56 terminal removing tool ( not cheap ) and a non-insulated crimping tool ( some good You tube videos on this )
When I do them. I use a short piece of glued heat shrink for strength over the crimps plus a dab of liquid electrical tape to fully seal the end of the wires
Most of the ones I have done actually still had the key switch plug in the loom & used a pig tail to go between the old plug & the new "wonder switch " although newer machines had a different loom so needed a plug ( not easy to find down here ) so simply used non insulated crimps. fitted them to the switch then set them in place with some epoxy resin in the top off an old pressure can, taking care not to fill past the end of the terminals thus gluing the switch to the wires
Down here we use Lucar type terminals so getting Packards was difficult till Star introduced me to Mouser via this site .
Down side is you have to buy in commercial quantities.
Over there PAckard terminals should be an auto parts item .
The first one I did, had to be done in a hurry so I used 3 toggle switches so the owner could use the mower till I had a loner mower for them so I had the time to work out how to do the job properly . Now days it is a couple of week job if the parts are not in had at the time
Basically you need a switch for the starter solenoid another for power to both the carb solenoid & the PTO switch and one for the kill wire .
The mower is UNSAFE to use in this situation but some times there is no alternative

DaveVachon

Forum Newbie
Threads
SLX50 model #13AZA2CZ010 1B259H20190
So , a 1 year update Just after this thread ,I went out and it started and ran fine for the last year with no issues
4 weeks ago ,the problem resurfaced I did some basic maintenance (recharged battery ,new plugs new air cleaner tested fuses )and tried starting every few days
Machine had an E4 error , The shop wanted me to bring it in and have a CC tester put on it to see what was going on
The Front desk ex mechanic said E4 could be multiple things O2 sensor ,starter or starter Solenoid All non returnable items
They could also check on updates that my machine might have missed So l didn't want to fix it by swapping out non returnable parts O2 was 170$ solenoid 72$ starter 301$
So 3 weeks later they still have it, was told it was the starter,not in stock waited a week still no start now its the solenoid not in stock waited a week ,was supposed to be done today ,no call yet . They do have new ignitions in stock So I guess that's next Frustrating to say the least

CC50

Threads
My SLX 50 is prone to starting issues. It is a fuel injected motor. Last year it was doing same as yours and would try several times to start and was spitting fuel out of the muffler so dealer replaced oxygen sensor. That seemed to help but I also notice if it is 40-45 degrees and want to mulch leaves it is a real effort.