XT1 Cub Cadet deck belt keeps slipping

dekerivers1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone having the same issue, which from what I read is a common problem. Recently bought a house on some acreage and we got the mower thrown in the deal. After 1 trip around belt broke. Bought a new one and could tell way too much slack from the get go. Verified part number to be correct....so put it on anyway. It flew off next time around. Bought another.....flew off again. So I went and searched and found generic belt for different make mower.....same shape but 2 1/2 inches shorter. Sterns.......works like a charm.....no slipping. Have mowed 6 acres now.

Last edited:

dekerivers1

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, it's a Cub Cadet XT1 with 46" deck and the correct belt from Cud Cadet is 108 1/2". Also bought an MTD OEM replacement twice that was same size. I'm guessing the tension springs on the deck give up the ghost fairly quick and over time just leaves correct belt with way too much slack. So I got one that was 106" to try, since that seemed easier than replacing springs, or even doubling up on springs like I saw in one video. So thus far just a same shape V belt 2 1/2 inches shorter. Cub Cadet did have some 106 inchers for other models but for around $40-$60 bucks I believe. So this Sterns deal on A-Zon was only $20.00 so was a good test deal to make sure it worked. Cub Cadet customer support still says the correct part # belt at 108 1/2" is correct, and that they know of no mass problems....but the quick searching I found showed it to be a common issue.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
? ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the spindle bearings regularly.
The big problem with running an excessively short belt is too much side load causing premature bearing failure.
And remember bearings are a service item like belts & blades .

jkillingsworth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ltx 1045 and it calls for a 103 inch belt. I go through this every season of my deck belt slipping. The proper belt is on it but it seems way to loose.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Posting the model number and year would have help a lot as there is different version of XT1 series.

I do know some LTX1045 mowers take a 102" to work properly here. Just something I learned about the particular MTD stamped 46" deck used on the TB Horse and the Yard Man mowers I service that calls for the 103 belt. It mostly has to do with pulley size changes that MTD made.