X360 Forward and Reverse Pedals and Power Deck Lift Stopped Working????

Blade Runner

Threads
  • / X360 Forward and Reverse Pedals and Power Deck Lift Stopped Working????
Mowing lawn/field with X360 with approx 150 hours. I hear a slight rattle noise underneath. Then all of the sudden:
1. Forward pedal does not work and
2. Reverse pedal does not work and
3. Power deck lift does not work.

All three (3) items stopped working at same time. I can not move forward or reverse and I can not lift the deck. The engine starts up normal. The blades operate normal.

What should I check/fix/replace?

Thanks for any assistance.

gotomow

Threads
Check the hydro unit. Make sure the belt is on the pulley. The slight rattle underneath could be the pulley on the hydro unit is loose due to worn splines or the C-clip has come off.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thanks for comments. I just checked and primary drivebelt is shredded. I will removed deck and perform a detailed inspection before ordering parts. I will update thread. Thanks again.

Blade Runner

Threads
I removed deck and jacked up mower. I inspected it and found the following:

The drive belt was not broken but in shreds/strands.
It was off the transmission pulley and below it; and
It was off the flat idler pulley and jammed between the flat idler pulley and frame; and
It was dug into the V idler pulley as part of the V idler pulley was gone and had been rubbed into pieces; and
It was still on PTO clutch pulley but in strands; and
It had rubbed almost completely through the PTO clutch wires.

On the day it stopped moving, I had noticed huge pieces of "lint" like material at the back near the transmission. I thought it was weeds from the field I was mowing. LOL! Inspection showed it to be shreds of the drive belt.

I also noticed that the fan blade tips had been hitting the long spring next to the fan blades. Therefore, with the emergency brake on and locked and with the flat and V idler pulleys removed and with belt off trans. pulley, the fan blade tips would hit the spring when I turned it.

I removed fender/floor pan bolts and height adjustment knob (I carefully pryed up on center piece of knob to pull out and then carefully pryed up on knob and it pulled out) and lifted pan up and braced it up with a stick. Then I removed rod holding up gas tank. I was able to lift up the gas tank. The trans. pulley and fan move together and rotate as if gear driven. Both are not loose side to side. However, there is a little play up and down. I want to remove the trans. fan and pulley to inspect, but I will have to remove the gas tank I guess.

I have not figured out how to secure shaft to try to tighten nut or remove it.

I also noticed that in the X360 parts diagram, it shows the trans., then the fan, then the pulley on top. But, my trans fan is on top.

I have the Tuff Torq K58H trans. I can not find a photo of one yet. I have seen JD mowers with the trans. fan on top and with the fan below the pulley.

I bought a new belt and both idler pulleys and will replace them soon. I will repair PTO clutch wiring when I remove it for belt installation.

Are the fan blade tips hitting the spring because everything is not on correctly? Or do I need to reverse position of the trans fan and pulley? Or do something eles?

Thanks for any input.

gotomow

Threads
My fan is below the pulley on my x350. Not the same tranny as yours but it makes sense to have the fan right next to the housing to provide most cooling. Try reversing the pulley and fan and see if that helps with clearance issues.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
See several pictures of the 58 trans. and the fan is actually on top, seems strange but maybe designed for correct belt alignment for the larger gearbox. How many hours on the machine? Might be a good idea to do an oil change while you have it torn down this far. Several videos on Youtube on this. Also take a look and make sure that long spring is in the right location, might have gotten pulled over with the shredded belt.

gainestruk

Threads
Also if you see any damage to fan (I'm assuming it's plastic) replace fan, it turns at high speed ad will come apart if cracked.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thanks for everyone taking the time to comment.

I removed the floor/fender pan. Much easier than I thought. With the deck and pan removed, you can access everything and understand how everything works.

It also looks like a model with hydraulic power steering and deck lift is configured differently than others. It also appears to be much easier to remove the drive belt than what I have seen on youtube vids.

I got this used but very low hour X360 for 2 reasons including it was the cheapest model that was designed to allow for the transmission filter and fluid replacement and it has the same heavy duty frame of the X500s. This is the thickest riding mower frame I have ever seen.....yet they use plastic idler pulleys?

I will update thread as I progress.

gainestruk

Threads
Engineers look for any way to save money in production, they most likely ran it on one for 250 which is what most residential mowers are designed to last hrs and decided to use it.
If you can replace it with a metal one.

Blade Runner

Threads
I replaced the drive belt and the idler pulleys. I repaired PTO clutch wiring as well.

Transmission fan was hitting spring because belt was loose and allowed idler pulley "arm" to rotate and move spring. After new belt/idlers, the spring moved back and fan did not hit spring.

Replacing drive belt was easy. I only had to move back the height adjustment knob gear. Did not need to remove pto clutch or steering rods.

Hardest part for me was getting one of the idler pulley carriage bolts to get past bracket and go all the way through pulley. I used a center punch and tapped it past bracket.

I tried to reverse transmission fan and pulley. Would not work. But I did put a thick washer under nut and tightened it (with backup on spacer). Fan has no play now.

I adjusted foward and reverse pedal bolts. Mower is faster now.

See pics below
742667-d34f5c81ed39e6265e62bb72b6255dc6.jpg
Matching work seat LOL!
742672-980794987dbc0f92e9c7afd5dc2da15d.jpg
Loose belt caused fan to hit spring.
742674-27fda89fb6636b3a4ae3a09d9f7df4bc.jpg
New belt keeps spring away from fan.
742675-7b9c8f1ce503a1dab29d48bd9e321e1a.jpg
The V idler pulley damage.
742676-a9aa4b5fb6b76ce74f42252dac3d4707.jpg
The shreded drive belt and two piece height adjustment knob.

Last edited: