X354 JD tractor sluggish

JDbuyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
My X354 John Deere tractor struggles to get up hills or steep inclines. Use the tractor everyday commercially to mow 25 km roadways and frontal properties. Been working the girl hard but we just completed fuel filter and spark plug change to no improvement. We use fresh fuel every day as well as a fuel conditioner. The maintenance on this tractor is impeccable but recently after having the deck removed, cleaned, spindles greased and the blades sharpened, the tractor deck began making more noise than usual and running like the AC was on in your vehicle. Sluggish.

Are we looking at a possible top belt replacement or is the transaxle low on fluid?

Needing some good advice.

JDbuyer

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that amount of use the first thing I would do is change the drive belt if it hasn’t been done in the last two years. When you do so, check the tensioner idler pulleys and arm, make sure they are in good condition and moving freely. Using a residential mower commercially means you are going to have parts wear out quicker.

Tinker Ty

Threads
I am with Rivets, drive belt and/or idlers to the drive belt. Often when you work your mower hard (hills, slopes, pulling), the belt glazes and needs replaced. Good luck.

JDbuyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am with Rivets, drive belt and/or idlers to the drive belt. Often when you work your mower hard (hills, slopes, pulling), the belt glazes and needs replaced. Good luck.
Tinker TY thank you for your reply! Belt is ordered and will intstall in the next hour. Appreciate your reply. Cheers!

JDbuyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
With that amount of use the first thing I would do is change the drive belt if it hasn’t been done in the last two years. When you do so, check the tensioner idler pulleys and arm, make sure they are in good condition and moving freely. Using a residential mower commercially means you are going to have parts wear out quicker.
Rivets thanks for the reply! Belt is ordered and will check the tensioners. I am into the tractor every week providing some level of maintenance. We realize this may not be the optimum mower for the job but the residents love the quality of work and this job has grown in scope the past 2 years. What mower would you recommend? Thinking 60 inch plus 360 Exmark.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I’m a Toro guy, so I guess I’m biased. I would take a serious look at the Toro Z-turns, which every would fit your budget. Especially the MyRide systems, because of the amount of time you spend on the unit.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked air filter?
Try using Star Tron fuel treatment with 93 octane gas. Stay away from Sta Bil fuel treatment.

Last edited:

JDbuyer

Forum Newbie
Threads

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect this is the actual problem:

TransmissionKanzaki K46
Typebelt-driven hydrostatic
Gearsinfinite forward and reverse
Oil changesealed unit, service not recommended

Might do some searching on the net for info about this drive unit. Sure not suited for commercial use, or even some residential use either.