worn out engine?

blowerhead

Threads
I have a silver pro series model 10323 2 cycle E, serial # 9932708 that has run great since purchase in 1999. I love its light, powerful, easy maneuverability, since I have a left arm but no right arm (lost in accident 60 tears ago).
Last season some oily substance was coming out of the exhaust. Does this mean the rings/ cylinder wall are worn out? I haven't done a compression check. I'm thinking of a new shortblock if such exists.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you may be mixing your fuel/oil ratio wrong. Too much oil, have you changed your brand of oil? Could you be using an oil for water cooled engine instead of an air cooled engine. I would recommend using a synthetic such as Opti 2. May take a couple of uses before it clears up. Also, if you haven’t done so change the plug.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unburned oil in the exhaust not uncommon for two cycle engines, especially if the fuel/oil mixture contains more oil than the manufacturer recommends.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

It's pretty common for the Duraforce carb to leak at the needle valve causing fuel to pool in the transfer chamber and eventually into the muffler. You could perform a compression check, most of my Duraforce engines pull 105 to 115 PSI.

Regards
Jeff

1saxman

Threads
Jeff is right, they do this. Opti-2 is a wonderful oil and I recommend it, but even though I understand completely about how it works, I never could bring myself to run it at 100:1. I used 50:1 and it worked great with no smoke after coming off the choke. You can help the carb not stick and flood by using Startron in your mix - just a dash, about 1/2 oz/2 gal. Also, you may need to pick up the back of the mower and drop it from about 6" every so often, at least until the Startron unsticks the float. Putting in a fuel shut-off and closing it when putting the mower away is a great idea but may be overkill if you do the other things and it works. It will work, I've had three of them in the past; 10201, 10323 and 10500.

javjacob

Threads
Carb just needs a new seat and needle. I also recommend putting a fuel shut off valve on the fuel line. I also highly recommend getting the Briggs pilot jet if the engine is surging or hard to start... part #801308

javjacob

Threads
What happens is the needle leaks fuel into the engine and it blows out the exhaust on start up. A fuel shut off valve takes care of the issue.