Won't start

sherry9531

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper Pro Zero Turn mower. When I turn the key to start it, it just makes a clicky sound. The battery seems to have a full charge. Any ideas of what might be the problem?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
First, i would make sure all electrical connections are tight, on the battery, and on the starter and solenoid. Most likely the click you're hearing is the solenoid engaging.
If those check out, i would bypass the solenoid, if you have a set of jumper cables, hook one end to the battery, + to + and - to -, on the other find a good metal ground on the mower, engine bolt etc, then touch your Positive lead to + lug on the starter, (expect some sparks) if it cranks strong or even starts, the solenoid has gone bad most likely.
you can also accomplish the above by jumping the two solenoid posts together with a screwdriver.
Now, if it doesn't crank at all, or cranks very slowly, i would suspect the battery and take it a local auto parts store to have it Load tested, which checks the condition of the battery under a load. (free 99% of the time).
If you can, post the model of the snapper, so i can get a better idea of the electrical set up on this one.