Wont start

BillyDuane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will crossing wires on a 13 hp Kawasaki engine fry the chip? While trying to figure out why the mower would keep going when I released the safety levers the engine died and won't start.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Need the engine model and spec numbers as well as the mower numbers.
Short answer, unplug the kill wire from the ignition coil, and try to start. If it starts, safety switch issue or other wiring issue. No start with the kill wire unplugged, bad coil. Assuming you have fuel and the carb is good.

BillyDuane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Won't get the numbers until this evening. It's a GR 3214 pro I think, l'll verify that also.
I disconnected the plunger under the dash that has 4 wires attached to it and crossed some of the wires to determine if one was shorted. The plunger seems to control killing the motor if it's in gear or stopping the blade if its running. The wires run thru a little plug in chip and also seems to control the motor running in neutral or preventing a start while in gear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you sent power down the kill wire even for the briefest period of time you will ave fried the trigger chip in the coil .
You test it by removing the kill wire from the magnetos & cranking the engine.
No spark = dead coil
They are not repairable.

BillyDuane

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a Pro 1332G on the deck, model # 988118-gr1332fxp pull start on the manual. The number on the side of the motor is
E1397/68sn4g22002/88006500

BillyDuane

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's probably what happened. I guess I'm too old school. I wouldn't have dreamed it even had a chip.Ill check it out. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The trigger chip was invented in 1960 and hit the market as a "points replacer" from 1962
The patient ran out in 1992 and just about every USA engine maker fitted them as standard from 1993
First as a stand alone item connected to the coil then embedded within the coil which became a module and the price increased t 5 times the combined cost of the coil & trigger unit added together .

BillyDuane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its hard for me to figure out this stuff. I see I'm in over my head so I'll load it on my trailer and take it to somebody that understands it. I've been mowing my yard with this mower since 2005 with no motor problems whatsoever and this is my fault.