Won't start when hot.

Sapman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower, about 10 years old, with a 19 HP B&S engine. It starts and runs fine, but if I shut it down for more than about 2 minutes, it will not start again until it has significantly cooled down. It turns over and seems to have plenty of spark, but will not fire up. Any ideas what the problem may be, or how to further diagnose it?

lawngeorge

Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower, about 10 years old, with a 19 HP B&S engine. It starts and runs fine, but if I shut it down for more than about 2 minutes, it will not start again until it has significantly cooled down. It turns over and seems to have plenty of spark, but will not fire up. Any ideas what the problem may be, or how to further diagnose it?

hi sapman i have a similar problem,with my briggs mine is 98model 17.5 twin oppose cilinders

lawngeorge

Threads
hi sapman i have a similar problem,with my briggs mine is 98model 17.5 twin oppose cilinders

let me tell what ive done to it,replaced the coil rebuilt the carb again,i rebuilt it last year and still does the same thing.cranks and runs greAt when cold butad soon ad it get alittle warm or hot and you shut it off ,game is over till the darn thing cools off

lawngeorge

Threads
let me tell what ive done to it,replaced the coil rebuilt the carb again,i rebuilt it last year and still does the same thing.cranks and runs greAt when cold butad soon ad it get alittle warm or hot and you shut it off ,game is over till the darn thing cools off

hey sapman whats the engine model number??

Tinkerer200

Threads
I suggest you shut off the gas before stopping the engine. If it has an inline shutoff, use it if not, clamp the gas line before shutting off and see if this helps. IF it does, add an inline gas shut off and use it.

Walt Conner

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check compression when hot could be a valve, or starvation of fuel. or head gasket.

lawngeorge

Threads
I suggest you shut off the gas before stopping the engine. If it has an inline shutoff, use it if not, clamp the gas line before shutting off and see if this helps. IF it does, add an inline gas shut off and use it.

Walt Conner

I already put an inline shut off valve,but it didnt help. I also have a spark tester the one that glows ,it is firing on both cylinders but only when it cools off it actually starts.I read on a few threads about the float needle not closing correctly and over flowing the bowl, and flooding the engine .But in my case the plugs are not wet at all.Now moving to the coil i order one online, but this coil fires but it wont start the engine even when cold. My engine is 2 cylinder opposed engine. So i used the old coil and it fires and starts the engine when cold

lawngeorge

Threads
I already put an inline shut off valve,but it didnt help. I also have a spark tester the one that glows ,it is firing on both cylinders but only when it cools off it actually starts.I read on a few threads about the float needle not closing correctly and over flowing the bowl, and flooding the engine .But in my case the plugs are not wet at all.Now moving to the coil i order one online, but this coil fires but it wont start the engine even when cold. My engine is 2 cylinder opposed engine. So i used the old coil and it fires and starts the engine when cold

tinkerer thanks alot for inline shut off valve, tip