won't start or turn over when hot

uncleken

Forum Newbie
Threads
AFTER CUTTING OR RUNNING FOR 10 MIN OR MORE AND THEN TURN OFF MY TROY BUILT MUSTANG 5O, ZERO TURN WILL NOT TURN OVER, NOT EVEN A CLICK. IF I WAIT 15 TO 20 MINUTES IT WILL START WITH NO PROBLEM. I HAVE REPLACED SOLENOID AND STARTER WITH NO SUCCESS, LOCAL FARM AND HOME COULD NOT FIND PROBLEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m betting you have a loose wire some where. This should not be a hard electrical troubleshooting job for an experienced mechanic. I’d find a better mechanic. If you have a multimeter and some electrical experience, I’ll post a troubleshooting procedure to help you locate the problem.

Richard320

Threads
Since it's temperature-related and it's not the starter motor itself, I'd start looking for a poor electrical contact and a gap that grows with heat expansion.

Voltage drop is a good place to start, if you have a digital volt meter. Hold the positive to the positive battery post -- not the terminal, but the post -- and connect the negative to the connection on the starter then hit the key. You should see less than half a volt drop.

Then try connecting to a good engine ground, like a cooling fin, and then the negative post and try starting it again.

Remember,, you're looking for voltage drop, not voltage. In a perfect world, there would be no loss through ignition switches and solenoid so you shouldn't see any difference when everything is energized. Meaning zero drop. You can show the right voltage and even the right resistance sometimes but things still won't work that's when voltage drop under load shines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
check your oil level
It could have a low oil cut out so it won't start if the oil is low.
So from cold when all the oil is in the sump the switch is not active but when you have ben running for a while and all the oil is dispersed through the engine, the oil level drops just enough for the switch to activate.

turnerarnold

Forum Newbie
Threads
AFTER CUTTING OR RUNNING FOR 10 MIN OR MORE AND THEN TURN OFF MY TROY BUILT MUSTANG 5O, ZERO TURN WILL NOT TURN OVER, NOT EVEN A CLICK. IF I WAIT 15 TO 20 MINUTES IT WILL START WITH NO PROBLEM. I HAVE REPLACED SOLENOID AND STARTER WITH NO SUCCESS, LOCAL FARM AND HOME COULD NOT FIND PROBLEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Have you checked the carburetor?