Won't run without choke

Oldengineangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
12A-18MC 056. walk behind self propelled rear wheel drive Cub Cadet. Got it free, was rusty and really dirty. Cleaned it up, brand new carburetor, blew out gas line. Now starts right up but won't run without at least a little choke. Should I modify the new (aftermarket) carb? Other possibilities? Thanks

Oldengineangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Further info: The replacement carb I got Is a so-called "Chonda" chinese made knock off of the original "Honda style" carb. I found the pilot jet plugged with a brass fitting. Couldn't get even the smallest wire through it. Ordered another and again the pilot jet is plugged with a brass fitting. Is this appropriate or should I drill a tiny hole? The lawnmower doesn't really have an idle setting, it appears to supposed to run on open throttle and that's it. So is the idle circuit irrelevant?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a Loncin engine which is very similar to a GXV Honda , come would say a copy.
The Idle venturi is non adjustable.
The metering jet in the idle circuit is under the plastic plug under the throttle stop screw.
Unscrew the throttle stop screw then prise the jet holder out.
Give it a tub.
The jet has a through hole , that is for primary air the "jet" is the tiny hole in the bottom
Some like to enlarge it VERY SLIGHTLY .
Before you put everything back together blow down the hole that the jet holder was in just in case there is crud stuck in there.
Air should come out a hole at the side of the carb throat ( primary air ) and out of the bottom of the carb ( Primary fuel ).

These carbs are EPA compliant lean burn items so have no adjustments.