Won,t Start

tinkerer46

Threads
I have a Craftsman LT4000 model 917.258492 w/18hp Briggs and Stratton vertical Engine 422707 Type 1516-1. Went out a couple of days ago to do the lawn and all I got was that familiar click, click. So I took the starter out and tested it, and it was fine. Put in a new solenoid and still have the same issue, will not start. Not sure where to go from here.......if someone could point me in a direction it would be appreciated.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Clean and check the ground to chassis connection from the battery, and clean the connections on the battery cables by removing, wire brushing in/out and then put back on. If replacing the starter solenoid didn't end the click on trying to start, it's likely connections.

tinkerer46

Threads
Cleaned all the connections even put a fresh battery in, checked the seat safety switch and still nothing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) take the plug out and make sure the engine can be turned over by hand
2) try the same with the starter
3) use booster cables to go from the battery to a good ground near the starter and/ or the starter + terminal
Let us know what happened .

tinkerer46

Threads
Took the plugs out and manually turned the engine by the flywheel, Starter I'm sure is ok because the day before I pulled it out and had it bench tested at a friends shop. Just to make sure I put in a brand new solenoid. Took my jumper cables to a fully charged battery.......Negative battery post cable to a large bolt on the frame. Positive battery post to large nut on starter just some sparks but the same thing just clicks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that case the starter is toast
Double check by doing the same thing from your cars battery.
A weak starter will spin on a bench but not have the power to crank the engine
Did you try it with the plugs removed ?
Take the blower housing off so you can see the starter gear & the flywheel
Some times the wear in the internal spiral on the starter gear will cause the gear not t mesh with the flywheel
Usually this causes the starter to scream

tinkerer46

Threads
Yes I did remove both plugs , and more of the same. I think I've just been avoiding removing the starter again. So I'll take it out as you suggested. It may take a few days as I have to order it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check it with the blower housing off before you remove it
The bendix is a service replacement part as is the gear

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Whatever you do, do not buy one of the cheap "HIGH POWER" unbranded starters all over ebay / amazon
To a one they are all junk and will be lucky to last a season and even luckier not to take out the solenoids & alternators with them .
Most are only 2 pole so draw a lot more electricity than the system was designed to take
I have needed to do a lot of very expensive repairs to mowers fitted with them for the past several seasons

After market ones supplied by genuine mower parts stores on line ( e-replacement , K & T , partsTree , etc etc et ) will be fine but LuckLuckW / MecheapToo type non existant entities will be selling whatever that can get very cheap and most are garbage.