Mower starts but does not continue to run... VIDEO UPDATE last page

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Mower starts but does not continue to run... VIDEO UPDATE last page
I know. I was being sarcastic.
The Briggs engines had points until up to 1983 or so, and I always recommend putting the newer style coil on, and just clipping the wire to the points, and leaving the flywheel alone.
The last half a dozen that I tried a points replacement on due to no spark, had to end up putting a module on. Seems like the points/condenser didn't fail it was the module itself.

Clippy

Threads
You guys are awesome. I have Prime so I can return that coil I bought tomorrow. I ordered the magnetron one that StarTech showed me. Makes my life a hell of a lot easier. Thanks again both of you have been very helpful.

Richard Milhous

Threads
...You only need the points coil if you have a cast iron cylinder block.

Why's that? I suppose the magnet might produce a little eddy current in the block, but the coil isn't grounded when running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Why's that? I suppose the magnet might produce a little eddy current in the block, but the coil isn't grounded when running.
It because most old cast iron were positive ground and the Magnetron coil are negative ground. This cause the flywheel magnets to be reversed on the cast iron systems. Years ago there were places that did re-magnetization of the flywheel magnet to change them to the correct polarity. Most those places are long gone now.

Richard Milhous

Threads
It because most old cast iron were positive ground and the Magnetron coil are negative ground. This cause the flywheel magnets to be reversed on the cast iron systems. Years ago there were places that did re-magnetization of the flywheel magnet to change them to the correct polarity. Most those places are long gone now.

Thank you, and Holy Crap! I thought positive ground systems were a pre-WWII thing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you, and Holy Crap! I thought positive ground systems were a pre-WWII thing.
BSA, Triumph, Norton, Enfield all remained + ground till the factories closed down
BSA started - ground, then went + ground
It was misguided ideal about galvanic protection . works on steel ship hulls but not on motor vehicles .

Richard Milhous

Threads
BSA, Triumph, Norton, Enfield all remained + ground till the factories closed down
BSA started - ground, then went + ground
It was misguided ideal about galvanic protection . works on steel ship hulls but not on motor vehicles .

Why wouldn't it work on motor vehicles?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not enough electrolyte ( water) to complete the circuit and what is there is usually rain so not as conductive as sea water.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Not enough electrolyte ( water) to complete the circuit and what is there is usually rain so not as conductive as sea water.

Ok, I *think* there should still be some protection while there is voltage on the system. Nothing I found about galvanic protection was entirely clear, but it seems what inhibits corrosion is the local electrical field - i.e., the density of electric charge. This would depend on voltage and capacitance, not current flow which would be wasted energy.

If I'm right, the reason it doesn't do much for cars is because the body has very low capacitance (and the voltage is rather low). What increases the capacitance and therefore surface charge density in a marine or soil environment is the dielectric effect of water - water has an unbelievably high dielectric constant and could multiply the effective capacitance by as much as 80.

Any electrical engineers willing to tell me I'm wrong?

Clippy

Threads
Even with my new coil installed, I don't seem to be getting any spark. Still troubleshooting.