Wide deck push mowers Australia

gecko

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hullo all. I'm looking for recommendations for a wide deck push mower or experience of the smaller ride ons for smaller yards. I have a half acre flat clear block to do in the dry tropics that I'm currently doing with a blue Victa. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not much available as a wide area walk behind new apart from the Toros.
My advice would be to look for a new or used Greenfields FastCut.
The biggest deck they made is 34" but the mower does what the name says.
I can cut 1 acre of pasture faster with my 24" than with any mower or ZTR under 50"
Add to that the cork drive plates are $ 15 a pair
It runs standard $ 20 belts as apart from $ 50 to $ 150 kevlar belts
It uses swing back blades at $ 30 a set as compared to bar blades at $ 30 each .
Down side is because they are so good you do not find many second hand apart from deceased estates & clearing sales .
Even then they will never be cheap
40 year old 24" with side valve B & S engines still pull $ 1000 to $ 3000 .

Second best is a Cox with cone drive, not hydro .
Not as fast as a Greenfields and the cone clutch requires a lot more foot pressure .
I have 18 old Cox compacts from the 80's in my service run and again the only way the owners will part with them is after they are dead .

Both of these mowers were made in Queensland so there are a lot more of them up north than down south

Victa did a "super 24" walk behind and these are fantastic mowers when fitted with the 2 stroke engines.
Latter ones with a Powertorque engine are the better ones. Not so good with the Honda and hopeless with the B & S engine.
Again they date from the 70's to mid 90's and will run forever.
Again swing back blades, a std M series drive belt and will happily cut through 6' tall blackberries & lantana ( which sort of says where mine gets used ) I have cut down mallee scrub up to 2" diameter with mine but it does go through blades when being abused like I do with mine

Roughly where abouts are you ?
Right now there is a pair of Greenfields on ebay in Toowoomba for $ 600 ( a steal if you can fix them )

A mile of them on Gumtree in Qld
Probably more on face book market place