Why wont my mower start on its own

03grandam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all first time on this forum I’m lookin for some help with my mower, I have a John Deere D105 I believe it has a 17hp engine on it. It will start off of starter fluid being sprayed into the carb. But it’ll just spin over with out it. I have checked the fuel solenoid it is working, I’ve changed the spark plug and made sure I’m getting spark which I am, I’ve changed the fuel filter, I’ve cleaned out the carb and made sure it was getting fuel into it, made sure there was nothing in the fuel lines it also has fresh gas in it so I’m not sure why it wont start I’ve tried checking everything I’ve known to check there doesn’t seem to be an electrical issue I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is if anyone has any ideas anything would be appreciated thank you.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd check to be sure the choke is closing fully.

03grandam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd check to be sure the choke is closing fully.
I did notice that my choke was open but it has a spring under it and it wont stay closed how do I get it to stay closed? Like there is a spring right under it where it bolts to the carb itself

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I did notice that my choke was open but it has a spring under it and it wont stay closed how do I get it to stay closed? Like there is a spring right under it where it bolts to the carb itself
Post up the Engine Model numbers and Manufacturer name (Briggs, Kawasaki, Kohler?) If it's a Briggs, the model number should be stamped on the valve cover at the front of the engine,
You should either have a separate choke cable on the dash, or you may have to move the throttle all the way up to engage the choke, or the engine has an Automatic choke that is not working properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Undo the choke cable clamp.
Move the wire & tighten it again.
The cable slips under the clamp over time

Telesis

Threads
I have a D105 and the choke is engaged when the throttle is pushed up past the WOT detent. I agree with Bert. Loosen the cable clamp and move the cable a bit to the right and tighten. In this case there isn't a separate choke cable; it's integral to the throttle cable as Scrub alluded to. [fwiw, I'm sure his has the same Briggs 31R977 motor as mine]

03grandam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I
I have a D105 and the choke is engaged when the throttle is pushed up past the WOT detent. I agree with Bert. Loosen the cable clamp and move the cable a bit to the right and tighten. In this case there isn't a separate choke cable; it's integral to the throttle cable as Scrub alluded to. [fwiw, I'm sure his has the same Briggs 31R977 motor as mine]
do have the same motor as urs and I just tried starting it with the choke completely closed and it still doesn’t turn over I’m not sure what else to look for

03grandam

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is fully engaging the choke

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the choke is closed fully and it starts with dope sprayed into he carb then the carb is dirty & needs a clean or even a rebild .
Instructions will be found here