Why NOT to use Seafoam in your mower oil.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seafoam is a powerful solvent. Can we all agree on this? Removes carbon pretty good yes??

Solvents break down oil. Everyone still agree?

So to me, Seafoam will shear down the let's call it SAE30 oil to an SAE 20 or SAE10, right from the initial pour in. So now your oil is waaaay too thin from the manufacturers recommended oil grade (SAE 30). Everyone follow the logic?

And you know how most all American's like to over-do stuff....... We pour in a little "extra". Shoot, this stuff is the cat's meow, I'll use the ENTIRE BOTTLE. o_Oo_O

Let's not even get into mower engines that call for multi-grade oils - even worse condition than above.

So now for the guys that will chime in like "I've been using Seafoam for 40 years, never a problem". "Buy it by the tanker load". Yes, you are HERE LOOKING FOR HELP on your 4 smoke mower engine. "Why does my neighbor call 911 when I start my mower?" LOL

slomo

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have stated in previous emails, I do use Seafoam. But not in the crankcase. That should be pretty clear, at least on my end anyhow.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use nothing in the crankcase, except for a good oil containing Zinc. In my personal SxS i run 15w40 rotella. as for other oil for changes i use the manufacturer recommended weight for the Farenheit temp range & Kawasaki K-Tech oil or Kinetix. Sometimes the owner will purchase the oil and filter and i just do the labor.

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my New Kawasaki, I only run the K-Tech semi-syn 20w-50, because of warranty.

mikehouse

Threads
Wow!!!! So all this time i've been hurting my engines? Can't really argue with logic.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow!!!! So all this time i've been hurting my engines? Can't really argue with logic.
Unless you are using CNG or propane, I would say yes.

Ever pull a head off a 10 year old engine? Lots of carbon and lots of bore gouges from that carbon.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't use any of them but Seafoam makes several different kinds of additives. Some for fuel; some for crankcase.

350Rocket

Threads
I've used it with success in a fuel system but I wouldn't put it in oil unless it was a known sludged up engine, adding it briefly before an oil change. Even then, it's risky, but if the engine is no good in the first place, sometimes you have nothing to lose.

I'm not sure how they get away with labelling it as safe to add to engine oil. Like you say, it's diluting it. Nothing required in your oil except oil.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m sure that some people are dumb enough to put that stuff in their crankcase.

mikehouse

Threads
I've been putting even in my 50:1 fuel mix.