Why Does Honda Harmony 2013 Tractor Drop the Drive Belt?

harryinhbg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why Does Honda Harmony 2013 Tractor Drop the Drive Belt?
Can someone tell me why my Honda Harmony 2013 Tractor (Year about 1996) drops the main drive Belt?

My old drive belt was half stripped away, and it was coming off of the transmission pulley, hopping past the rear belt guard. I purchased a new belt, and it does the same thing.

I have the recommended clearance of about 3/16 inch between the belt guard, and the belt, and clutch pedal free play of just over 1/4 inch, as prescribed in the factory service manual. It seems incredulous that it can hop past the belt guard, but it does.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a new belt, and it does the same thing.

incredulous that it can hop past the belt guard, but it does.

Is the new belt a genuine Honda part?

Are you 100% sure all the guards, guides, etc. are intact?

Does the belt jump off as you release the clutch, engage the PTO, or under what exact conditions?

Honda did issue a Service Bulletin way back in 1998 for "Drive Belt Comes Off" and it applied to all H2013 models.
The fix (might be) installing an additional belt guide:

belt%20guide_zps8rx2cjic.jpg

The add-on guide is Honda Part Number 06224-771-305 GUIDE KIT, BELT MSRP $22.72.

Not sure if it comes with instructions, but even as an FYI, drop me a private message with your email and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin.

Last edited:

harryinhbg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert:

Thanks for your note!

After fussing with the clutch free play, I have it working perfectly. at least for the time being. The problem always occurred when during shifting gears/depressing the clutch arm. It appears that when I reduce the free play to the 1/4 inch figure, it allows me to depress the clutch so much that there is too much slack in the belt. I increased the free play to about 5/8 inch (the upper limit stated in the manual), and it is working fine.

If the problem reoccurs, I may take you up on your offer of the additional guide.

Does the belt jump off as you release the clutch, engage the PTO, or under what exact conditions?

Honda did issue a Service Bulletin way back in 1998 for "Drive Belt Comes Off" and it applied to all H2013 models.

The add-on guide is Honda Part Number 06224-771-305 GUIDE KIT, BELT MSRP $22.72.

Not sure if it comes with instructions, but even as an FYI, drop me a private message with your email and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I may take you up on your offer of the additional guide.

The add-on guide kit is available via any Honda dealer. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Again, not sure if instructions are included, so if you want them, drop me a PM with your email.

Otherwise, glad to read it is operating correctly now.

unawfu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, I know you posted this a few years ago, but I was searching for solutions for my problem with my Harmony 2013 mower and found your message. Would you be willing to send me a copy of the Honda bulletin from 1998? If so, let me know and I'll PM you with my email address. Thanks!

dgseeds

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi Robert,
I am having a similar problem with my Honda Harmony 2013 and would like to afk you if you could send me a copy of the service bulletin. This might help me figure out why the belt is squealing when put into gear. Thanks!
dgseeds@gmail.com