Why are Craftsman tractors setup to cut so low?

jakesmurray

Threads
I've noticed this with my LTX 1000 with a 42" deck and also with our GT 5000 with a 48" deck. Even the highest setting is pretty low. If I were to drop the deck to the lowest setting, it would scalp the entire yard. Is this because of the limited space underneath the body of the tractor? Anyone else notice this with their Craftsman riders?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is because residential owners/renters think 1" is a great height for grass.:laughing:

primerbulb120

Threads
It is because residential owners/renters think 1" is a great height for grass.:laughing:

Yep, a lot of people do tend to cut grass too low. It's not just homeowners and renters, I've seen professional lawn services do it too. I have a job this coming month where the previous service cut it too low and turned the yard into dirt (which is why the homeowner hired me instead.:smile:). I'm not going to repeat that mistake! :tongue:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep, a lot of people do tend to cut grass too low. It's not just homeowners and renters, I've seen professional lawn services do it too. I have a job this coming month where the previous service cut it too low and turned the yard into dirt (which is why the homeowner hired me instead.:smile:). I'm not going to repeat that mistake! :tongue:

I would not call them professional. I have turned down potential customers because they wanted their grass cut a way that was not good for the lawn and would not listen to my suggestions. Just walk away for that kind of customer.

primerbulb120

Threads
I would not call them professional. I have turned down potential customers because they wanted their grass cut a way that was not good for the lawn and would not listen to my suggestions. Just walk away for that kind of customer.

I make it clear to the customer that cutting too short is not good for a lawn. But if they insist on it I will do it.

The customer I referred to earlier is not happy with the short cut, but the previous service would not cut it any taller. That's why they hired me instead. :smile:

GT6000

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like the lawn guys don't want to spend the time to adjust their cutting decks at each stop.