Who else does this?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
On those mower decks with the 5 or 6 star, regularly you get one in where the blade wasn't put on right. and so the star on the spindle is mushroomed. Sometimes beyond repaid. Other times, it not so bad that you can't take a dremel and deburr the edges, so that the blade fits again. That's what I'm working on now.

The bits that come in the set from the auto parts store suck. Was looking around and seems that "tungsten" bits are a lot better. Problem is, how do you find single bits, the size you need. I like the oval shaped ones, that are small enough to get close in the corners of the stars. And the pointed ones to get right in the inside corners.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i get in mowers with damaged stars on the spindles i just replace the spindle shaft. Actually cheaper in the long run for the customer for me to replace it vs. taking the time to dick with it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As for the rotary burrs you want carbide ones as you those from auto parts stores are just junk. They are expensive but well worth it consider you get many years of use out of them. Stick with the single versions as they provide a much smoother finish,

Carbide Burrs

But Hammer says just replace the spindle shafts when you can.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i get in mowers with damaged stars on the spindles i just replace the spindle shaft. Actually cheaper in the long run for the customer for me to replace it vs. taking the time to dick with it.

If there's too far gone, anything close to half way or more moshroomed, with a big burr, I won't mess with either. But if it's like the one I just did, it didn't take long to get the blade to fit back.
It was a 6 star spindle. The blade that was on there, didn't have stars. It was one of those 1 size fits many blades. So there was only 3 of the points with burrs. Still had a lot of meat left on it. It was the difference between a few minutes of grinding. Versus pulling the spindle out, pulley off and the other stuff.
Besides, I like labor profit over parts profit. There's no overhead.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
As for the rotary burrs you want carbide ones as you those from auto parts stores are just junk. They are expensive but well worth it consider you get many years of use out of them. Stick with the single versions as they provide a much smoother finish,

Carbide Burrs

But Hammer says just replace the spindle shafts when you can.

WOW, you can really see the difference between a good set and the Harbor Freight junk.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I get mine from China via EVILPAY.
Funny enough they have all been good to date
Down here a single genuine Dremel burr is $ 45.
I get a pack of 10 from China for about $ 20 from a vendor that only sells tools .
Same story as before check all of the "other items" till you find one who only sells tools and order from that vendor.
If they have 24,000 items from condoms to maternity bras ( cause the condoms obviously did not work ) then cross that vendor off your list .
Something like This set . If they go to the effort of putting them in a box with a brand name on it chances they will be OK at least.
Down side is I have to do this every time because the vendors seem to vanish after a year or so ( dodging tax probably )

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I also corrected the link I posted as something went awry with the insertion. PT you might should check it out before ordering.