Which ride on should I buy??

Brendanjames

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

Just settled on a block just over an acre. Planning on spreading kikuyu and need a ride on mower. Any suggestions on what to get. I have a few trees around but not planning on getting a zero turn. I am looking at the Husqvarna TS 142T model which I can get brand new for 4700 or is it work looking at a john deer? Or anything else? My father in law has a Husqvarna and has never had an issue with it. I was looking to spend about the 5k mark and ideally wanted one with a catcher but if not it doesn't matter. Thanks for your help!!

Regards

Brendan

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will get a lot of “I like” XXX brand over YYY because it’s never given me a problem. That being said I’ve gotten away from recommending any brand of low end tractors. This is what I recommend you do. 1. Never buy from a Big Box store, always go through a dealership. I don’t care if they are the same unit. Look at dealer reviews, especially in the area of repairs. 2. Test drive the unit, preferably on a rugged surface. Would you buy a car without a test drive? 3. Never walk in a buy. Sleeping on a decision is better than impulse. If it’s the last one, so be it, another will come along. Finally, when you get down to X or Y go with your gut, not $$$ or someone saying “I would buy #&%+@. It’s served you well in the passed.

bkeller500

Threads
I would recommend you go to 4 or 5 different models and take a look. There are differences that become more obvious the more you compare models. Think about the little things that make a difference in comfort and reliability. Is the plastic going to hold up? Are the controls easy to locate and convenient to use. How does the steering feel? Can you easily remove the deck to change belts and sharpen blades, and to clean our the build up? After 5-minutes with your butt in the seat....does it feel like its a keeper or does it feel cheap? Ask your self ( while sitting in the seat) am I buying this because I really want it or because it's cheaper and will do. Nothing worse than owning a lawn tractor ( rider) that you regret purchasing.