Which of these two old Grasshoppers?

SeaView

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I am looking for a new lawn mower and have two old Grasshoppers that I am considering.

Grasshopper 722D, 1550 hours, year 2006.

grasshopper 620T, 230 hours, year 2013.

both cost around 10.000 USD.

which one would you recommend?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The newer one with fewer hours SOUNDS better. But without seeing both of them in person, I couldn't make a recommendation.

SeaView

Forum Newbie
Threads
The newer one is gas and the 2006 is diesel. Should the 1500 diesel hours be a concern?

I do not have experience with Grasshopper but really like the front Mount deck.

i live in Europe. Maybe it is more common over here than in the US?

what should I look for when reviewing them in person?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
$10??
Buy both.....

SeaView

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess the tax is quite higher over here.
The price $10.000 is for each machine.

gsim

Threads
Both seem to be priced too high, but I'm in USA, so I have no idea about prices in EU. If you opt for the diesel with 1500 hours, BE CERTAIN THAT YOU CHECK THE LEVEL OF GEAR OIL IN THE MOWING DECK GEARBOX. Low oil levels make gearbox give off a high pitched whine when blades are engaged. I had to replace gearbox on mine and it had around 1540 hrs on it when I bought it . In fact, after I took the steel protection shielld from the gearbox, I finally had to take the gearbox case apart beneath the deck and let the two halves of the case, and the input shaft fall away in order to be able to get the output shaft and the primary sheave up and out of the machine. Could only do it that way due to rusted shaft and collar. Ended up using heat and bearing press to press shaft out of that primary sheave. Reason is, the factory assembles all of that stuff DRY. Seals will leak after hours pile up. So be certain to check levels of gear oil if you buy the diesel.

arto_wa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1700 hours in my 1993 721D (it has a Kubota Diesel engine) which we have owned since 2003 and the engine purrs like new!

It depends on maintenance and whether they are abused or not.