Which deep well socket should I buy?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have current that need a nut removed. It is either a 46mm or a 1-13/16" so which socket I should the cheaper SAE or metric one? I do know it should be a six point at least.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure which is cheaper but i bought the Tekton brand large deep 1/2" socket set. Very happy with them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it were me is the equipment you’ll be using it on basically a metric or SAE? Which ever would tell me with one to purchase, don’t want the possibility of rounding off the nut. Second, with that size I would definitely go with an impact socket.

Richard320

Threads
46mm might be easier to find. It's what was used on VW bus axle nuts for decades. You might even be able to find an older auto mechanic who has one he only uses now to press bearings who will loan/rent/sell it to you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The equipment is a hybrid version. SAE used on the deck but metric used on the spindles and drive hub.

But this was a mental test. You guys failed somewhat.

I just wasn't willing to buy a 46mm at $60 locally plus pay shipping as no auto parts house had either version in stock This just one of those sockets they charge you extra for being stupid. I end getting the socket for $21 from Amazon with free shipping by knowing they are the same socket.

I did go with an impact version as I driving it with 1300 ft/lb impact.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I must have passed with flying colors, because many on this forum think I have a mental problem, so mental test are easy. When I come across anything larger than 1.5” I dig out my dads 4’ pipe wrench, he was a pipe fitter, and I also have his 36” wrench he got from our neighbor who was a train mechanic.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I do have an antique monkey wrench would have worked except it don't fit inside things. You just use another wrench to tighten it. That's why I had to buy a 38mm (1-1/2) thin wall deep well back in January for a Scag spindle.

EbFxMCVynmgCEjn8UUUn8g-smallw.jpeg

I still got a hang up on this Bush Hog finishing mower. Darn online vendor had the wrong size posted for the seal. Considerable difference between 40x80x10 and 55x80x10. Knew I had the wrong one as soon as I got the pulley off. And that seal retaining ring a pain to get out too. It had a bevel cut one way on one end and the other way on the other end. My normal way of getting them out would not work as I couldn't grip both ends being an inside ring.

Normally I see them this way.
ring.png
Not this way.
ring.png

Last edited:

upupandaway

Threads
I have current that need a nut removed. It is either a 46mm or a 1-13/16" so which socket I should the cheaper SAE or metric one? I do know it should be a six point at least.
If you didn't get a socket already, Oreily's auto loans out large impact wrench sockets. I borrowed one to take off my truck's front wheel bearing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you didn't get a socket already, Oreily's auto loans out large impact wrench sockets. I borrowed one to take off my truck's front wheel bearing.
OH it isn't like I didn't tried them. The local store nor Advance had one in stock for loaning. Matter of fact I purchase the last set I borrowed from Advance at half price.