where does it go?

jjt0883

Threads
My Kohler courage motor had a sudden power surge. I shut it down and began looking at the governor/ carb area. What I found is that the governor link which is is rides around the throttle linkage has become unattached. I think that the hook end has broken off, and I have no idea where to reattach it Help is need! Can I just bend the old end or do I need another and where do I attach it when fixed or replaced? Thanks in advance for your help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There are hundreds of Kohler engine. which model and spec do you have?

jjt0883

Threads
Sorry for not including SV530-3222 4611004203 part 12 is the governor link that rides on the throttle linkage and attaches where on the carb

Attachments

• Lawnmower.png
    Lawnmower.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 14

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Attaches to the throttle. If there is no small hole next to where part #14 goes, then in the same hole as part #14.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.
All it does is keep the arms at each end tight on the rod
This damps down any flutter at the throttle butterfly cause by slop in the linkages

jjt0883

Threads
doesn't sound that it would cause the motor to run wide open?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spring you directed us to is the anti hysterisis spring and goes over the governor rod
Thus it can be shortened without any problems
Any other spring must be replaced because shortening it by bending a new hook will make the spring tighter which will cause the engine to run slower .

jjt0883

Threads
I guess that there is another problem causing the engine to race and not respond to the hand throttle. I can move the throttle on the engine by it will not run under its own control?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I could explain it but you probably would just get more confused
However
The governor inside the engine always tries to CLOSE the throttle & make the engine go slower
The faster the engine is running the harder it tries to close the throttle.
The throttle control on the dash pulls on a spring that works against the governor
The final speed is the result of the tug-o-war between the governor & the spring
Item 9 on the screen shot you uploaded is the governor spring that controls the engine speed
It should go between the governor arm & the throttle lever so as you pull the throttle control to fast it stretches the spring
It might not appear to do it when the engine is off because the governor arm is set to full speed when the engine is off .
Go to the Kohler engine web page & download the service manual for your engine.
It is there as a free download