Where Calif goes others will follow?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cal has tighter emission laws than any other state and none have followed them to date

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Will that be before or after California breaks off on the United States and becomes it's own island?

I was doing a road inspection project down in Yosemite and decided to add to my fleet of GoldWing motorcycles and bought one. I went to the DMV to register it and they wanted to charge me for 4 years of back taxes while the bike had been in the guys carport not being riden.

I told them, never mind, I'll just bring my pickup down from Washington State and haul it back.

You really don't know what taxes are until you live in California for a year or two..

upupandaway

Threads
Where does electricity come from? :cool:
Just like electric cars- lakes of chemicals to extract the elements to make this "environmentally friendly" battery in china.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Green energy" in commifornia is the biggest joke in the world. They are closing the last nuke plant and wind and solar are negligible. Their power comes from fossil fuel. All those battery powered cars use fossil fuel. At least all the folks there can feel good about themselves because they are better than everybody else since they are so much greener than everybody else.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm all for finding new ways to create power, but don't get rid of or lessen the capacity of reliable energy until the NEW energy production is made more reliable.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The USA lead he world with clean green nuclear energy .
They closed down the research in favour of fast breeder reactors so they would have to deal with lots of "waste" plutonium which of course made the perfect feed for making A bombs with.
China opened their first Thorium Salt reactor back in 2019 and their "research" reactor is bigger than some of our coal fired power stations down here.
China set up a full research university around the reactor and I would not be surprised if they well on their way to building a couple more .
India was due to open their first Thorium salt reactor in 2020 but it seems that Covid has set that one back substantially .
I would bet there was not a word about it on any USA news service .
According to the bumf on the web from the pro Thorium lobby, the USA is not doing any research on liquid salt reactors , which are safe green & cheap .

Th only reason I can see is because the government is hostage to the coal miners & power generators.
Some what like solar, Liquid salt reactors are small so have lower output .
This favours distributed generation which makes power difficult to bill for customers .
Even worse big users like aluminium smelters could build their own reactor on site as they can be made very small , around the size of a couple of shipping containers.
Distributed generation makes running the power grid very very difficult particularly if you have a dozen or more different companies all competing to sell power into the grid .
People forget that AC electricity can not be stored so every time you plug your phone in to recharge the battery a power station some where has to adjust it's output to compensate for it and that has to be done in less than 0.1 sec and the way our grid works, the cheapest generation source that can respond in time is always used to keep the input costs as low as possible

There is enough roof tops , oriented in the right directions in Sydney alone to generate more electricity than the entirety of Australia consumes and we are the largest power users per head of population on the planet .
So I could not see the situation in the USA being any different .
China has 2 totally solar cities and is building more of them .
Now to be fair, it is a lot easier to do if you start fresh with a grid designed to be 2 way rather than trying to convert a one way grid to a 2 way grid and that is before you get into complicated politics of protecting financial returns of large companies and building active solar buildings drastically reduces the need for electricity .

Power companies have a strangle hold over the governments down here to the point that developers can still build houses that are incorrectly oriented to the path of the sun & are so big on such a small lot that there is no space for a cloths line so the owners have to use cloths dryers and air conditioners 24 hours a day for 300 days a year .

roof & ceiling insulation is manditory but I can still put in floor to ceiling glass as a single 5mm sheet of glass .
In the EU that would have to be a 3 layer glass wall for thermal effiency .