Wheel Horse Mower deck pulley stuck on blade shaft

tkos115

Threads
So my neighbor has recruited me to replace the bearings on his mower deck for the blades. I have done this kind of work before but this one has be a bit stuck. I have taken the top pulley lock nut off and the small grease fitting that screws into the top of it. However this pulley is pretty seized onto the shaft. As far as I can tell there are no holes to thread bolts into and almost no room to use a puller to get it off. I have a small 2 jaw puller that just barely fits under it but it's hard to use and it looks like it will bend the pulley pretty easily. The other downside is that since the grease fitting threads directly into the top of it, using a puller with a point would probably ruin the hole for it. (If I could fit one). Does anyone have any ideas? I have it soaking with PB blaster over night, I tried to use a large hammer and a wooden block to hit the shaft down from the top but no movement at all. I'm thinking if I can at least get the pulley off I can take the spindle out and use a press.

The deck model number is: 1542RC01 and it is off of a Wheel Horse model 416-H from 1989 I believe

pulley1.jpg

pulley11.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put the nut back on loosely
Put a socket over the nut and smack with big hammer
If you are worried about damaging the housing then support it from underneat the deck.
I use an air hammer for this as I can lay on the hammer and the 20,000 little taps a minute usually walk the pulley off in a very short time.