Wheel Horse 312-8 no start

Dipper

Threads
Just bought a 312-8 from someone who needed the money who said it was his dad's and ran good last fall but couldn't get it to start this spring. Got it home and it turned over fine but no fire at the plug. I didn't realize this old of a machine (1990 I think) came with all the safety switches. There is no seat safety switch so I assume it was bypassed, but I have to push in the clutch to get the motor to turn over so that one must still be active. I found the pto switch and it seemed to move ok and click, and the two fuses checked out ok. Just need to know where to go from here. Thanks.:confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should have a 12 HP Kohler magnum engine. This is one will made tractor and engine. First start with the basics, spark, fuel, compression, timing. If you think you have a safety switch problem and no spark always isolate the engine and chassis first so you know where to look.

snapsstorer

Threads
I have a wheel horse 8 hp/4 speed model #1-0120-8 that i had the same problem with. it has an 8hp kohler that when i try adjusting the points, it had a weak spark then none. when i researched it, found out it being below 1300XXXX, i had to replace the breaker rod(has external points). after replacing both the points and rod, adjusting them to 0.020, tried starting it, and to took off running like it was brand new. to help you out a bit here a sites for you, "www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/". will try to find the other site i had for the manual for your wheel horse.:dance1:
the one i have was built 1973, and has 2 safety switches, basically the same as used on the gravely.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a wheel horse 8 hp/4 speed model #1-0120-8 that i had the same problem with. it has an 8hp kohler that when i try adjusting the points, it had a weak spark then none. when i researched it, found out it being below 1300XXXX, i had to replace the breaker rod(has external points). after replacing both the points and rod, adjusting them to 0.020, tried starting it, and to took off running like it was brand new. to help you out a bit here a sites for you, "www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/". will try to find the other site i had for the manual for your wheel horse.:dance1:
the one i have was built 1973, and has 2 safety switches, basically the same as used on the gravely.

312-8 was made in the 90s and has no ignition points.

Dipper

Threads
You should have a 12 HP Kohler magnum engine. This is one will made tractor and engine. First start with the basics, spark, fuel, compression, timing. If you think you have a safety switch problem and no spark always isolate the engine and chassis first so you know where to look.

Thanks for getting back to me. Some other replies kept talking about breaker points but the 312-8 is pointless. So I started from the seat safety switch which I found laying down along the rear axle. Put electric tape around it to keep the button in and it started right up. Got lucky and it runs really nice. Thanks again.