Wheel and tire sizes

fiatster

Threads
Hi all, I have a Cub Cadet LTX 1046VT that I plan to use this unit only to clean up after a snow plow finishes my driveway. I'll be removing the deck and looking around for a plow blade to fit it with. I'll add some weight to the rear wheels. I am a little worried that chains will damage the tarvia driveway so I thought I'd look around for some used av tires. The tires on it now are 20x8. Is that the only size that will fit or can I use some different?
Thank you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can go a little taller to 22 or down a bit to 18 but the 8 is rim size so you can not change that. Changing tire size also changes how the mower will react. Smaller tire size will make spinning the tires a lot easier. Going larger will increase top speed but make it easier to break transaxle. You did not include the tire width which can some times be wider. You have to make sure you have clearance for it as well. For every inch of taller or wider you need 1/2" of clearance. Just think it through before you buy. If you find something you want just come back here and ask again.

fiatster

Threads
You can go a little taller to 22 or down a bit to 18 but the 8 is rim size so you can not change that. Changing tire size also changes how the mower will react. Smaller tire size will make spinning the tires a lot easier. Going larger will increase top speed but make it easier to break transaxle. You did not include the tire width which can some times be wider. You have to make sure you have clearance for it as well. For every inch of taller or wider you need 1/2" of clearance. Just think it through before you buy. If you find something you want just come back here and ask again.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of rebuilding the carb on this unit. The sump was full of gas. I just ordered a Craftsman 54" 26 HP V-Twin Kohler Riding Mower Turn Tight® Extreme for cutting my lawn and originaly was going to get the cub up and running and sell it. It's not too old, (2010) and in decent shape. The carb problem just gave me an excuse to get the tight turn mower without having to go to a zero turn. In any case, it struck me that maybe I should keep the cub and put a little plow on it for my driveway. I do have a plow hired to do the plowing, but I have a lot of "touch up" to do when he leaves. So I thought this would be a good solution, but I'm afraid I'd damage the tarvia with chains. Without chains, my option would be AG tires, but findinf a set in my size is becoming a problem. Am I right in assuming chains will cause damage?
Thanks again.
Mike

Jack17

Threads
Hi,
Maybe instead of looking for tires/chains/plow you should get a snow blower for your CC?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm surprised your having problems finding tires. When I get home on a computer I'll look up some tires for you. The eight inch rim is what I have on mine and I've got AG tires on my zero turn. I went all the way up to the 20 inch AG. Chains are weird things sometimes they do damage sometimes they don't.

fiatster

Threads
Wow, thanks for all the links. I think when I was searching I limited myself to 20x8 not 20x10.0-8. My mistake. The tire sock does look interesting. I'm a little skeptical though.

So what do you think? Bearing in mind that I'll just be using the tractor to clean up areas that the regular plow guy left, like in front of the cars and the mess I leave after cleaning off the vechicles, will the ag tires do a decent job or should I not waste my time. I live in upstate NY and we get rock with snow at times.

Thank you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like my snow pusher. Took care of 18" 2 years ago for my entire road. 1.5 miles. Smile on my face the entire time
2014-11-30 16.45.57.jpg