What walk behind mower to purchase?

Rickcin

Threads
We have a 1/2 acre of property and I do almost all of it with a 42 inch CC lawn tractor. There is a small section that needs to be cut with a walk behind due to a slope and the back yard has about 8 small trees that take a bunch of time to circle with the tractor. I was thinking of a HD Honda SP mower for $419 but wondering how difficult it will be to circle all of the trees with the drive system?

Advice would be appreciated, thanks❗

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
First read reviews on all mowers, Snapper, Toro, Troy Bilt, Honda, MTD, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc, any others that come to mind then go try them out for yourself operating all controls. Let us know which mower you choose, thanks, Mark

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No need for reviews on a Snapper. They did it correctly about 50 plus years ago. Snapper used to be the king (in the public eye) for decades. Lack of advertising and dealers pulled them out of the ring I guess??.

Here's one way to tell. Go to each brand forum section on here. Read about all the broken mowers and the simple and some, massively stupid engineering mistakes like their mower won't back up (Honda). It's 2021 and Honda can't make a mower that will back up. What are they on like page 20 now from that ONE posting? Visit the Snapper forum LAST. You will think that section is closed.

If you ever find one of these with the Kawasaki FJ180V engine, buy it. This is the tip of the speak of ALL push mowers. How long has Snapper had the SAME deck out? Same commercial steel bearing wheels and so on. Best most simplistic drive system ever. Hard to improve on greatness.

MCRP215015KWV_lrg.jpg

In the public eye, people want to see "new" things on products. Why, because they "must be" better and improved. Like plastic decks (Honda) and plastic handlebar drive (Toro and Honda).

slomo

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
1. You will be needing a self-propelled mower for sure.

2. I like the TroyBilt mowers with the front wheel drive. I find it easier to lift the front wheel than operate a lever to slow things down when cutting in close. I know... that's just me, but slight downward pressure on the bars just seems very natural to me.

3. Not everyone gets along with the constant speed drives. Test drive your mower first. Some of them can certainly simply seem way too fast for private residential use.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suggest you narrow your search down to these three brands. Honda, Snapper and Toro. The other brands you listed are all push mowers built by MTD which means low end consumer brands, and I would never recommend any of them. As stated, test each brand and then go with your gut, not price.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My opinion, front wheel drive is a joke. Rear drive is the only way to roll. Much more traction especially when the bag is full or on hills.

Snapper has the most simplistic slash reliable drive system know to man. If you need the rubber drive ring, you are out a whopping 8 bucks. Keep 00 grade grease in the trans. It will go 40 plus years without fail.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would like someone to share their opinion on any brand that is superior to the Snapper Commercial Hi-Vac. My ears are open. Explain how and why this mower is better than the Snapper. Tell me what I've been missing out on.

What I've used or owned

Honda - that GCV200 is a pretty good engine. Makes pretty good torque too. I like it. Now why doesn't Honda make this same recipe in their commercial engines? The GXV160 is lacking in torque big time. Mine struggles on my yard. Just runs out of breath when you mulch some "needs cutting" grass. Not talking about over grown HOA violations here. Course my turf is Tifway Bermuda and ultra dense, pretty tough on engines. Honda mowers themselves, too many levers and buttons to push and hold down while mowing. No side sling, bagging is not class leading and mulching is not great either. Leaves tracks all the way through the yard. And that rear discharge is WONDERFUL. That is if you like grass and rocks pinging you in the shins and feet. Their 4 blades are not impressive either. Nothing special over a 2 blade system honestly.

Toro - The old aluminum deck super recyclers were darn good. Course they had no bearing plastic wheels and mid grade engines. Love the personal pace. Terrible baggers but GREAT mulchers. Good machines not great though. The commercials are pretty nice but expensive. Stout Kawi engines and tough mowers. These are the only competition for the Snapper I know of. I can buy 2 Ninja Snappers for the price of one Toro commercial. The new super recyclers look good on paper. Almost bought one. What do you guys think?

slomo

gotomow

Threads
super recyclers look good on paper. Almost bought one. What do you guys think?
I like my new Super Recycler. Mulches, bags, and side discharges great.159cc
seems stronger than 190cc honda. Toro's blade stop system has remained the same for many years and is a very simple reliable design.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like my new Super Recycler. Mulches, bags, and side discharges great.159cc
seems stronger than 190cc honda. Toro's blade stop system has remained the same for many years and is a very simple reliable design.
Do you have that Toro engine? Heard those were made in China to great standards. Actually more reliable than every other engine Toro offers on those mowers. I need a 190cc plus grass slayer for my yard.

slomo

upupandaway

Threads
Toro's blade stop system has remained the same for many years and is a very simple reliable design.
Does Toro still use a belt in the blade stop? I ask if they change it because the honda is a PITA when it wears out vs buying a $8 v belt if the toros (that i've seen) saw ever wear out. I've seen hondas that broke\wore out though...