What piece of equipment to rake/clean this lawn?

johnsayen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

Aside from good old fashioned raking by hand, what type of piece of equipment would you recommend to clean up this neglected lawn? It was not raked last fall before the snow, is matted down as the snow just now melted, and has white pine needles in it, too. I'm considering a lawn sweeper attachment, something similar to the following, would that be a good start? Ohio Steel Tow Behind 42 in. Lawn Sweeper, 22 cu. ft.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.14.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.14.07 AM.png
    939.9 KB · Views: 10

bkeller500

Threads
you might be benefited with the addition of a de-thatcher to pull the dead material loose so it can be swept. Or you could consider a plug aerator and just pull plugs and let them decay and go back into the soil as they do.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a tow behind spring tooth rake every spring. One neighbor has a rake, one a lawn sweeper, and a third a trailer. Six of us put our backs together and weather permitting get 7 yards done in one weekend, weather permitting.. This year weather forced us into two weekends, but that meant two recovery sessions, which worked for us.

johnsayen

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you, it sounds like I'm on the right track.

EastonTurner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Experienced gardeners know that a smooth and beautiful lawn is not only an object of admiration but also the efforts that have to be made to keep the lawn well-groomed throughout the season. It's a pity that you didn't clean the lawn before the snow fell. Now you'd better wait until the ground is completely dry. When the ground dries, you will need to comb the lawn and remove dry grass, moss, foliage, and needles. After winter, bald spots may appear on the lawn, so you need to buy zoysia grass sod. Do not forget to use the lawnmower periodically.

Last edited: