What could be causing this?

Marvinator

Threads
One of my first posts....I use a Cub Cadet Kt48, 22 hp riding mower. It has worked flawlessly for the last year and a half. I got it brand new.
Recently, I had a flat tire. No big deal, but once I got the flat fixed, I discovered that the other tire (rear) was over inflated to about 28 lbs!
Ok, so I put both under the recommended 10 PSI max and am again mowing my lawn. BUT now I notice that the mows are not flat. It appears that my cuts are angled. What could cause this? Checking tire pressure, I see that one is 8 lbs PSI and the other is 9 lbs PSI. Could this cause such an odd cut? Are there any other considerations I should check into?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that the deck was leveled with the overinflated tire. the overinflated tire would have a large diameter, and when the pressure was corrected that side of the deck dropped.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect your suspisions are correct.
The first step in leveling a deck is checking the tyre pressures

Marvinator

Threads
Ok, let me add some more. the mower ran and cut great all last year. NO poblems, no leveling of deck needed.
This year...flat tire, repaired tire, discovered difference in PSI, set both tires to correct PSI, and now it's oddly cutting.
Oh but wait, are you saying that only ONE tire was off and by setting them both now I have to re-level the deck?
(how does one level the deck??)

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just for grins, re-inflate the left tire to 28 psi, go mow, and see if the cut looks better. If it does, you've verified the culprit.
Your owner's manual should tell you how to level the deck left to right. It will also give you the pitch of the deck, fore to aft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I assuming that you are talking rear tires, as front tires should be 20-30 psi depending on manufacturer. Also, lower pressure in the one going flat could have leveled off the cut for you gradually which you didn’t notice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In our owner manual is the instructions for leveling the deck
If you have lost it then it will be a free download form the maker except for JD where the OM is viewable & printable in sections
Decks need regular leveling as the lifting mechanism wears
With the exception of rear discharge decks , the belt pulls the left side forward and usually up as well.

Marvinator

Threads
Ok, I'm an idiot. Here is what I found. When I'm done with the lawn, I put the mower up on a set of ramps an clean out the mower deck so that the buildup won't be a problem in future mows. In my zealous nature to get things cleaned I apparently pushed UP on the deck and the leveling rod which holds the deck did not come back down and relevel. I've got the thing back in place and it mows well, but all your tips are great for future work. IMG_0292.JPG