What am I doing wrong?

sdlandis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been using a ZTR for the past ten years or so. My first was a TimeCutter and my current one (for about the past six months) is a Gravely. The problem I've had, and continue to have, is that when I mow around trees, shrubs, etc. I tend to tear up the grass with my inside rear tire...the one on the inside as I'm going around the plant. This is especially bad when I'm either 1) mowing when the ground is still damp from rain and/or 2) on the downhill side of a plant that is on a slope. Mind you, I'm not trying to mow around an object that sits on a steep slope...maybe only five degrees. Heck, I even have this problem on level ground.

I've tried jiggling the control bars, slowing down, but nothing seems to solve the problem. And since it's happened on two different ZTRs I'm going to assume this is "operator error". What am I doing wrong?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two possible cause to this problem. One is allowing the inside tire to come to a complete stop. This will cause it to tear up the ground, because it is sliding and not turning. Two, Titus which are too aggressive for the mowing conditions. One possible solution is to enlarge the size of the circle, allowing you to keep you moving.

AdamE

Threads
As a relatively new ZTR owner, I've learned that you can't pivot with the inside drive wheel stopped or even slow. Always keep both wheels in motion whether it's forward or backward. I've got a couple of acres that are fairly sheltered and the lawn stays wet for a long time. It's proved to be quite a challenge to not tear up the lawn.

sdlandis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Both are confirming what I've suspected. Now I need to focus more on keeping that inside tire moving .