Weird popping almost pinging noise while running.

Cameronkenyon31

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Weird popping almost pinging noise while running.
Koehler CH22s 66541

I just changed the coils as the right coil had failed. Motor starts up and is running powerfully and making the lawn mower scoot along just fine, however there is a pinging or popping noise while it is running and it seems to be running a little rich. Has anyone run into this problem before? I’ll try to attach a video for reference.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Weird popping almost pinging noise while running.
Scroll down page for CH22 Service Manual, see troubleshooting section.

Last edited:

Paul54

Threads
Can you verify that nothing is being thrown around the flywheel and flywheel cover ?, also might pay to pop valve covers and check that push rods and rockers and posts are all in place no dropped valves , you could try taking both plugs out and rotate each piston 1 at a time and put a long thin reach screw driver through plug hole and bring each piston to TDC hold screw driver and rotate back down the cylinder , if piston moves down the cyl con rod for that cylinder is OK , repeat on other cylinder if 1 piston does not move down possible broken con rod ,

if it's moving down , could be something under flywheel , other than that could be internal fault does not sound good

Hope this helps

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Full engine number and full part number of the coils you fitted please .
Kohler used a few different ignition modules over the years and they are not interchangable
Sounds like it is out of time .
I don't have access to the kohler dealer site to check your numbers but others on this site do .