WE550Y21SHP Weedeater Lawnmower Briggs and Stratton engine

intruder1500

Threads
  • / WE550Y21SHP Weedeater Lawnmower Briggs and Stratton engine
Any one know where the oil drain plug is on this model. Or is it one that you do not change the oil in? Got it for free and just trying to clean it up. Can't find anything on the underside after cleaning it up

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That model number didn't show up in any searches.... The Engines model would be helpful, it should be stamped into The metal cover on The engine, either above the spark plug or over the muffler.
if it has the engine im thinking of, there may be a drain plug under it, that accepts a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove it. Or you may just have to tilt it over and dump it in a pan.

Last edited:

intruder1500

Threads
That model number didn't show up in any searches.... The Engines model would be helpful, it should be stamped into The metal cover on The engine, either above the spark plug or over the muffler.
if it has the engine im thinking of, there may be a drain plug under it, that accepts a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove it. Or you may just have to tilt it over and dump it in a pan.
Here's all I could find for numbers

- ABSXS1581VG
- 9614800 1702
Briggs and Stratton 550 series 158cc

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
MODEL NUMBER WE550Y21SHP (MFG. ID. NUMBER 96148001700)

WE550Y21SHP mower IPL

He has a 10T802-1341-B1 Briggs engine per the mower ipl. And yes according to the engine's IPL there is an oil drain plug.

intruder1500

Threads
MODEL NUMBER WE550Y21SHP (MFG. ID. NUMBER 96148001700)

WE550Y21SHP mower IPL

He has a 10T802-1341-B1 Briggs engine per the mower ipl. And yes according to the engine's IPL there is an oil drain plug.
Well I found the engine number finally. Went on the B and S website and downloaded the service manual. There is no drain plug . The oil has to be removed from the top of the fill tube. I copied part of the manual as follows:

Remove Oil The oil must be drained from the top oil fill tube (E, Figure 10). 1. With engine off but still warm, disconnect the spark plug wire (A) and keep it away from the spark plug (Figure 9). 2. Remove the dipstick (G, Figure 2). 3. When you drain the oil from the top oil fill tube (E), keep the spark plug end of the engine (F) up (Figure 10). Drain the oil into an approved container.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then the Briggs has the service manual or IPL info wrong as the IPL from the Power Distributors website clearly has item
15​
691680​
PLUG, Oil Drain​
listed as being there.

And it is also listed both the sumps for this engine.
4​
798264​
SUMP, Engine​
(Engines with 6 Sump Screws)​
4A​
590569​
SUMP, Engine​
(Engines with 7 Sump Screws)​

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two distinct opinions on this.
Some ( myself included ) use a sump pump ( B & S Even make one )

Others are ardent that the only way to do it is to tip the engine

Decision is yours.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is noted that there are applications where even with oil plugs require an extractor to used due to an inaccessible oil drain.

Last edited:

intruder1500

Threads
Then the Briggs has the service manual or IPL info wrong as the IPL from the Power Distributors website clearly has item
15​
691680​
PLUG, Oil Drain​
listed as being there.

And it is also listed both the sumps for this engine.
4​
798264​
SUMP, Engine​
(Engines with 6 Sump Screws)​
4A​
590569​
SUMP, Engine​
(Engines with 7 Sump Screws)​

I'd say the IPL is wrong as I've removed lots of mower drain plugs and the only bolts of any size were the 3 holding the engine to the deck....unless its one of them. Previous owner also said he had to change oil by turning the mower over. In any event after sitting in a shed for 3 plus years with gas in it. New gas, oil changed and disgusting air filter cleaned....starts with one pull. Now it belongs to my daughter.
Thanks to everyone who offered their assistance.

greynold99

Threads
Weedeater Lawnmower,

Let me know when you get to the point of starting this puppy... I have a similar Model 500 and can't get it to run except by feeding gas through the carb. Of course, it only runs a second or two and then shuts off. I've changed spark plug, put on new carb kit from Weedeater (while it was still under warranty, they sent me one), checked the flywheel key (it's good, I never did hit anything with it) and it still won't run.
This was only after owning for a year or so, about 5 years ago. I think I posted something on this site about it then.

I liked the lightness of the mower, and my older MTD 22" mower I had for mowing banks finally quit and I'd like to get it going again as it's easier to push on banks than my other trimming mower.
greynold99