WD40

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Soaking a caked on head in WD40, seems to work very well. I scrape off the majority of oil and then spray what's left with WD40 and let sit for a few hours or a day. The rest usually comes off pretty easy with just compresses air.
I also use it on the outside of carburetors. The ones still on the mowers. Using the same technique.

My question is, I've remember someone saying something bad about WD40 on rubber or plastic a few years ago. But can't remember exactly what it was. What are some adverse affects does DW40 have on small engine equipment?

Romore

Threads
It works but other products specifically designed for cleaning are more effective. It is flammable, I used it to keep engines running (with a lot of white smoke) while priming the fuel system. I never had a problem with it on rubber or plastic.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like it because it doesn't dry out over night. Spray it once, and it's still wet and soaking the next day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No problems with rubber or plastic either.
Not quite so
WD 40 attacks nylon and it's derrivitives ( rayon etc )
When nylon lined clutch & brake cables first came out on motorcycles a frozen cble because the owner had sprayed WD 40 down it to free it up was a very common event.