Want to add 12v electric start to 15 year old Snapper Hi-Vac

FrankenSnapperKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Want to add 12v electric start to 15 year old Snapper Hi-Vac
I have a brand new Briggs and Stratton 121S07-0020-F1 engine with a 12 volt starter and alternator charger. I want to put it on my Snapper and hook up a battery/harness/key start. The original Snapper kit did not charge the battery through the engine, but used an AC plug in to charge. What mower system can I “steal” the harness/battery/key start set up from to modify my Snapper to work and utilize the alternator charger on the engine?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like where you are going with this. Just asking a question. Is the rope too hard to tug on? I would like all my Hi-Vacs to be electric start.

slomo

FrankenSnapperKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like where you are going with this. Just asking a question. Is the rope too hard to tug on? I would like all my Hi-Vacs to be electric start.

slomo
The engine I picked up online was a great deal and will fit the Snapper. It does not even have a recoil pull start- 12v starter only. I decided that I would make it work no matter what. I would prefer to have it self charge the battery since it has the alternator, but I will use an AC adapter if I have to. I can take the wiring harness and setup off an old Toro Recycler if I have too, but I figure this new motor was made for some application that had a harness/battery/key start system. I just need help figuring out what that is. Google has not been much help.

The motor I’m replacing is the second motor I put on, but it is starting to burn oil and foul up the plug.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd wire it to make the engine alternator charge the battery. Never have to plug in anything. Should be some simple wiring. You could throw some cool LED lights on her and mow at night.

slomo

upupandaway

Threads
I have a brand new Briggs and Stratton 121S07-0020-F1 engine with a 12 volt starter and alternator charger. I want to put it on my Snapper and hook up a battery/harness/key start. The original Snapper kit did not charge the battery through the engine, but used an AC plug in to charge. What mower system can I “steal” the harness/battery/key start set up from to modify my Snapper to work and utilize the alternator charger on the engine?
I got mine off a used Sears mower. That's where i got the keystart, charging, etc cables and the electric start Quantum motor itself from. Ask around, maybe you can find a shop that will part mowers that owners don't want fixed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So if he has an engine with an alternator, that will charge his battery. Then you need a key to send 12 volts to the starter solenoid. Then a ground to the key switch to kill the ignition right? Anything else here? Sounds pretty simple. What did I miss?

slomo

NorthBama

Threads
That sounds like a fun project and you can make it happen go for it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy peasy if you & only you use the mower
You will need a starting solenoid and a starter button which can be any spring loaded switch, like a horn button for example
Battery + to switch to solenoid trigger terminal .
This is of course UNSAFE but if only you use the mower and you always sit in the seat before you start it then you won't accidentially cause the blades to rotate nwhile your bare toes are under the deck ( not pretty )
Rectifier + wire to the battery terminal on the solenoid & you are done
Existing switch should work fine to stop the engine

FrankenSnapperKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Easy peasy if you & only you use the mower
You will need a starting solenoid and a starter button which can be any spring loaded switch, like a horn button for example
Battery + to switch to solenoid trigger terminal .
This is of course UNSAFE but if only you use the mower and you always sit in the seat before you start it then you won't accidentially cause the blades to rotate nwhile your bare toes are under the deck ( not pretty )
Rectifier + wire to the battery terminal on the solenoid & you are done
Existing switch should work fine to stop the engine
A couple things:
- It is a 15 year old walk behind self propelled Hi-Vac
- I prefer to just graft on a harness/battery box/key switch from some other application rather than fabricate my own set up (I have the skills, I just don’t want to sink that much time & effort into it)

I think I have a lead or two on a setup Lawnboy uses that will work for me and will utilize the self charging aspect of the alternator. I’ll update within a few days, and keep checking back here for any more comments or advice.