Walker mower not getting spark

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys I recently bought a walker mower that needed some work. The guy I bought it from said he hit a small stump and the mower instantly shut off and hasn't fired off since. So the first thing I check is spark and It turns out its not getting spark out of one side but the other side it is (it looks weak) Could it have jumped out of timing with the coils? or is there a safety precaution that I am missing when the mower hits something solid with the blades? (Edit) I have done some research, could the fly wheel key possibly sheared off then the blades hit the stump?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the key can be sheared
and no that will not stop one side from sparking
Remove both kill wires and check for spark again
No spark = bad coil which needs replacement

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
aright will try tomorrow thanks!

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
turns out the coil that isnt getting spark is new what could that be? the gap is too big possibly?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which motor & what coil ?
Walker liked to fit Kohlers
Kohlers have a few different ignition systems
Most coils have a Hall Effect timing chip in the coil ( replaces points, remember them ? )
The chip is very sensative and if ever exposed to any battery voltage it will fry
Even some cheap Ohm meters will fry them
The kill wire is a ground wire so is either open ( to run ) or ground ( to stop )

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which motor & what coil ?
Walker liked to fit Kohlers
Kohlers have a few different ignition systems
Most coils have a Hall Effect timing chip in the coil ( replaces points, remember them ? )
The chip is very sensative and if ever exposed to any battery voltage it will fry
Even some cheap Ohm meters will fry them
The kill wire is a ground wire so is either open ( to run ) or ground ( to stop )
The motor is a ch25S kohler and I'm not sure on the coil because I did not put it in but tomorrow I'm taking the engine out and I'm going to take a look at everthing