Walk behind self-propelled mower with highest cutting height

Burnhaven

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Walk behind self-propelled mower with highest cutting height
I started off thinking about a riding mower, but with an estimated 1/2 ( fairly level ) acre to mow, that isn't really necessary. What is necessary is at least 4 inch cutting height -- more would be better. Our new home is located on a very rocky lot. What we see now is mostly walnut-sized stones, and we're trying to remove anything larger up front before planting grass but removing all stones will take a year or more.

Last thing I need is torn up mower blades or rocks flying through windows. I don't expect to use this on anything like brush, just grass and probably dandelions up here in NorthWest Washington State. I also don't plan to collect clippings -- 100% mulching. If I can find something reliable for under $2000 that would be perfect.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I started off thinking about a riding mower, but with an estimated 1/2 ( fairly level ) acre to mow, that isn't really necessary. What is necessary is at least 4 inch cutting height -- more would be better. Our new home is located on a very rocky lot. What we see now is mostly walnut-sized stones, and we're trying to remove anything larger up front before planting grass but removing all stones will take a year or more.

Last thing I need is torn up mower blades or rocks flying through windows. I don't expect to use this on anything like brush, just grass and probably dandelions up here in NorthWest Washington State. I also don't plan to collect clippings -- 100% mulching. If I can find something reliable for under $2000 that would be perfect.

Toro Turf Master 30" self propelled commercial mower with a 5 inches of cutting height. MSRP $1999 but can be purchased some cheaper. I purchased mine for $1699

Toro | TurfMaster 30" Commercial Walk Behind Mower

Burnhaven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Ric. The turfmaster gives me one more inch of cutting height and seems to be designed for commercial use.
The Timemaster 30 " only cuts up to 4 inches, but is quite a bit less money.
http://tinyurl.com/odwpgsw

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well it will only take a couple sets of blades to get all the taller rocks taken care of :) also when you water the rocks will sink in a little and when you drive over them with the mower it'll push them down. If I had this situation I would flood it drive over it with my truck a gagillion times.

You have quite a bit of space I would consider the turfmaster over the time master. Or even a small tractor or ztr 36"-48"

Burnhaven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not locked in to anything yet, just thought a walk-behind would give you more machine for the same money, over a riding mower. I was considering this Ariens which has 4.5 stars on over 200 reviews. The few bad reviews make one wonder though. As long as the mower has some kind of anti-scalping wheels I think 4 inch cut height should be safe.
This will be strictly for homeowner use -- once a week or less.

Redirecting...

Ariens Model # 960460063 Internet # 204628181 Store SKU # 523543 A20VA46 46 in. 20 HP V-Twin Briggs & Stratton Automatic

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any machine you buy will work as long as you take care of it. Thing about bad reviews is usually inexperienced people doing it. Not taking care of it or asking to much.

Thing about using a larger machine is when you do hit a rock you don't have to replace engine :) just a blade possibly a spindle

Burnhaven

Forum Newbie
Threads
With a rider you could hook up a small piece of chain link fence and drag yard to remove rocks. Like this video showes. Not a good video and not me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHoDXpIQ7A

Excellent idea. I'll have to make sure the rider I choose can tow something. I think I did something like that at my last house when I had a Quad ATV, towed some field fence around.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Ric. The turfmaster gives me one more inch of cutting height and seems to be designed for commercial use.
The Timemaster 30 " only cuts up to 4 inches, but is quite a bit less money.
http://tinyurl.com/odwpgsw

Yes it is considerably cheaper and there are reasons that it is. Like the B&S engine vs the Kawasaki KAI commercial engine, a 1qt gas tank vs a 1 gallon gas tank, a splash lubrication system vs the Pressurized lubrication on the Kawasaki engine plus the Cast-iron cylinder liner and chrome plated piston rings. The list goes on. The turf master is is a well built machine and made for commercial use and would last a homeowner a life time and well worth the extra money but that's JMO.