walbro carb on craftsman 32cc trimmer

metz12

Threads
So, I have never dealt with a string trimmer carb before so I figured i would ask the pros. i replaced all the lines and when i hit the primer bulb gas shot out of the hole on the plate so i took it off to see the problem (pic 1). the gasket under that plate has a whole in it and around the edge of the gasket. i got the thing running on full choke but not on half choke or off. do you guys think the carb would have needed cleaning anyways? i can get a new carb on ebay cheaper then a rebuild kit. its a walbro wt628. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 17

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, I have never dealt with a string trimmer carb before so I figured i would ask the pros. i replaced all the lines and when i hit the primer bulb gas shot out of the hole on the plate so i took it off to see the problem (pic 1). the gasket under that plate has a whole in it and around the edge of the gasket. i got the thing running on full choke but not on half choke or off. do you guys think the carb would have needed cleaning anyways? i can get a new carb on ebay cheaper then a rebuild kit. its a walbro wt628. thanks in advance.

That diaphram looks pretty bad to me. If you can get a new carb cheaper that a rebuild I would do that because I think that carb needs rebuilt. But that's just my opinion I would wait for a second opinion

metz12

Threads
that is what i am leaning toward. i wouldnt want to mess with taking the thing apart. all the pieces are so small. plus a whole new carb would save me alot of time. i'd like a second opinion on it too my dad thinks im crazy to want to buy a new carb. i found the thing on the side of the road along with the same model and everything but with no carb. and also a stihl that i got running. but i gave this one to him and im fixing it. the bet is if i buy the carb and the thing runs, he will pay me double what i payed for the carb. therefore an extra 20 bucks in my pocket.

metz12

Threads
nobody knows about string trimmer carburetors?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, have a little patience. You've been around long enough to know that we're not sitting around waiting for someone to ask a question. Your carb is corroded to the point that replacing over rebuilding is the best way to go. You might get lucky with a rebuild kit, or you could end up paying for a rebuild kit and a new carb.

metz12

Threads
First of all, have a little patience. You've been around long enough to know that we're not sitting around waiting for someone to ask a question. Your carb is corroded to the point that replacing over rebuilding is the best way to go. You might get lucky with a rebuild kit, or you could end up paying for a rebuild kit and a new carb.

I understand. i would rather get the whole thing then possibly having to buy both. its better to be safe then sorry.

NEW Genuine OEM 530071637 Poulan Trimmer Carburetor Walbro WT 628 530071405 | eBay

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A D20-WAT kit should cost @ $5-$6 bucks at any mower shop at most, if you can get a new carb for that, go get it and don't look back. There is always a risk that after putting in a kit, the carb might need replaced anyway.

But from your pics, that carb looks fine to me, just a brittle, cracked diaphragm. A new kit, and proper cleaning should get it going.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
$22 free shipping is a pretty good price, that carb will be ready to go, just bolt it on if you go that way.

If it was another brand, a new carb would be a lot higher.

metz12

Threads
since i got 2 of these trimmers on the side of the road(one without a carb), i think if i got a new carb for this one (to win the bet with my dad :laughing: ) and i will try to sell the other trimmer with the old carb, or try to get the other trimmer running with the new carb. the only problem is that the primer bulb isnt on the carb like most. its connected with gas lines.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going by the photos can't see any reason why after a good clean up and a rebuild kit that it wouldn't work fine, had many like that..!