Ventrac electrical issues

Markka42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for some info ...our 4500Z keeps killing the battery. I have had the alternator rebuilt...repaired a broken wire going from the alternator to the starter power lug...replaced the battery..cleaned the negative terminal under the seat..but if the unit sits overnight the battery is dead in the morning..any ideas would be most appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here’s the troubleshooting steps I would do in this order.
1. Fully charge the battery.
2. Take a battery voltage reading.
3. Remove the negative cable from the battery And let it sit for 24 hours.
4. Take a second battery voltage reading. If it is not the same as #2 you have a bad battery.
5. If it is the same as #2 then replace the battery cable and unplug the connector on the key switch. Let sit for 24 hours.
6. Take another battery reading. If it is not the same, you have a problem in the wiring between the battery and switch.
7. If it is the same you have a problem after the switch.

Please provide us with the units model and serial numbers off the ID tag. That way we can find a schematic drawing of the electrical system and offer suggestions after we know your results.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect the begative battery cable.
Connect a low wattage 12v bulb between the batt neg and the ground cable. An LED light would be best. If the bulb glows you have a pretty good parasitic draw. Start disconnecting things or working through the schematic if you have it. When the bulb goes out the parasitic drain is gone. If the bulb doesn't light you will need a milliammeter to see the draw.
First place i would look is a failing voltage regulator.

Depending on the piece of equipment if all power to all components is removed when the key is off you can disconnect a battery cable and measure for voltage between the batt terminal and the disconnected cable. Should be zero. If around batt voltage there is a parasitic draw. Disconnect things till the voltage is zero to find the parasitic draw.