Vapor lock

raven2955

Forum Newbie
Threads
What causes vapor lock and how do you fix it. will a fuel pump help?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Common cause of vapor lock is fuel line routed too close to the hot parts of the engine, normally around the cylinder head. You don’t give us much help in diagnosing your problem, like engine numbers or pictures of the fuel line. If you provide more info we may be able to solve your problem without an electric fuel pump, which may get expensive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure you post all engine numbers when you post back.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have also had a couple craftsman riders with the Briggs V twins that had exhaust pipe heat shields that directed the exhaust heat up to the carb and would boil the fuel in the carb after running for about an hour.

raven2955

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have also had a couple craftsman riders with the Briggs V twins that had exhaust pipe heat shields that directed the exhaust heat up to the carb and would boil the fuel in the carb after running for about an hour.
how did you solve the problem

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
how did you solve the problem
The muffler heat shield has two bolts that bolt the shield and the muffler to the frame. There is two fingers that extend over the exhaust pipes from the heads. the issue was the section in the middle came more or less straight up in front of the carb. I bent that section to were it would sit below and somewhat behind the carb. Basically isolating the carb from the exhaust.

raven2955

Forum Newbie
Threads
The muffler heat shield has two bolts that bolt the shield and the muffler to the frame. There is two fingers that extend over the exhaust pipes from the heads. the issue was the section in the middle came more or less straight up in front of the carb. I bent that section to were it would sit below and somewhat behind the carb. Basically isolating the carb from the exhaust.
will look to see if I have same configuration

tadjag

Forum Newbie
Threads
What causes vapor lock and how do you fix it. will a fuel pump help?
Vapor lock is a real problem with many types of vehicles and power equipment today because of the alcohol in the fuel. Pure gas boils at a considerably higher temperature than gasohol (E10), by about 20 degrees or more. Oxygenated fuel ( gasohol) also causes a host of corrosion related issues in fuel tanks and carburetors, AND it ruins fuel system diaphragms in as little as one season of use. I have found one station in my area that sells pure gasoline at about $.50 a gallon more than regular E10. Do a google search for "pure gas" to locate a station in your area. I have ZERO fuel related issues in any of my power equipment or old cars.

I frequently have to repair mowers and power tools for my customers due to use of gasohol, particularly in 2 stroke engines. Moving your fuel line and/or insulating it with aluminum foil to protect it from higher temps may help. A vacuum pulse fuel pump may help get cooler fuel into your carb, especially if you know how to run a return fuel line back to the tank. That way you are constantly supplying the carb with cool fuel and sending warmed fuel back to the tank to cool. Of course this will only work with a larger fuel tank and a larger engine. Probably not worth the trouble on a smaller mower (under 10 HP). The nice thing about the vacuum pulse pumps is that most engines will produce enough vacuum to operate one without any electrical connections. But if you can't find/make a vacuum connection, then electric will work.

mikekir

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just make sure the gas tank is vented. The cap has a small hole, make sure it is clear.