Used Mower Make/Model Suggestions for Son

roo_ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy:

The Short of It
Looking for recommendations for both a push (self propelled or not) and later a small riding mower to buy used. Older is fine by me. I would like a make/model that has good parts support.

The Long of It
My son has been born again mechanical. He is up for all the car & truck maintenance I can teach him. Thing is, my practical knowledge is running out and I am not sure I want him doing his first engine repairs on my truck. (Heck, I hope my truck won't need any repairs!) So, the idea is to buy a used lawn mower and have him rebuild the motor and any other bits that might need attention. He might end up using it to mow lawns around the neighborhood.

Thanks for any pointers.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Search "craigslist" for your area. I would suggest a Honda lawnmower or Snapper with B&S engine lawnmower for your son, parts are plentiful for both, depending on age of mower. Honda Parts Nation website has excellent prices & shipping, just an example. Using smartphone, tablet, or computer you can search model & serial numbers as well as all engine numbers from data plates on mower & engine for available parts before purchasing mower. I would also recommend purchasing a shop manual for mower if not available online.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to your local repair shop and you will find plenty of projects in your price range. Most shops have take in trades (I won't give you anything for it, but will take it off your hands) which they will probably give you a great price on. At the same time your son will develop a contact when he needs parts or help.

roo_ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
mechanic mark & rivets:

Those are both really good ideas. I snoop through craigslist often, but I think I need to pay a local repair shop a visit, too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go here
mymowerparts.com/about_us.php
Click on the free parts books and manuals.
A treasuer trove of information.
The "must have MTD manuals" are excellent .
Personnaly I am not fond of Honda manuals .
By far the best manuals are the John Deere ones but you will have to buy them.
They are written in a step by step basis with an explaniation of how everything works at the beginning of each section.
This is very good for the enquiring mind as he will get both the HOW and the WHY and once he understands this nothing is impossble so he is set for life.

The biggest problem most have with mowers is the electrics and the JD electrical trouble shooting guides are without comparison.

Go to
mylawnmowerforum.com
And join you son up.
They are a nice bunch and really supportive towards young people restoring old mowers.
From memory they hane a reasonable index of parts books and manuals.
It was very good when I was starting out a few years back.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
That's a bold move with that link. Enough to get banned on some forums

There's no law against people being members of multiple forums. I'd hope that they get the help they need here but different topics might be more common on other forums. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I started out I joined up every forum I could find.
Mowers, tractors, chain saws, arbourists, garden care, etc etc etc.
Each and every one of the has it's own personality, strengths and weakness.
This forum seemed to have the largest number of competiant mechanics posting and a very adult attitude.
You rarely see a dozen "me too" posts.
It is exactly what I was looking for, a group of people who told other people how to fix their mowers and where to find the information they need to fix it.
It gave me the wide background i the trade that I did not have coming from outside the industry.

Something I learned when doing the wedding car hire was don't try & sell some one oranges when they wanted peanuts.
And if you know where to get peanuts you direct them there.
While you don't make a sale, you get a reputation for being honest and strait foreward which ultimately made me very successful.
People like to be helped, not manipulted.

So now Roo_ster should be feeling that we have his and his son's best interests at heart.
Thus when he comes across some one with an equipment problem he will not hesitate to direct them here, thus this forum ultimately benefits.

primerbulb120

Threads
mechanic mark & rivets:

Those are both really good ideas. I snoop through craigslist often, but I think I need to pay a local repair shop a visit, too.

I don't know what search terms you're using on Craigslist, but a lot of people make their search too specific and don't find what they're looking for. Search for "mower", set the search function to show the lowest prices first and start scrolling. There should be several mowers in your area for ~$10-$20 that need a little work.

roo_ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
premierbulb said:
I don't know what search terms you're using on Craigslist, but a lot of people make their search too specific and don't find what they're looking for. Search for "mower", set the search function to show the lowest prices first and start scrolling. There should be several mowers in your area for ~$10-$20 that need a little work.
Another good suggestion.

Something I learned when doing the wedding car hire was don't try & sell some one oranges when they wanted peanuts.
And if you know where to get peanuts you direct them there.
While you don't make a sale, you get a reputation for being honest and strait foreward which ultimately made me very successful.
People like to be helped, not manipulted.

This. Best salesfolk I have known worked this way.

So now Roo_ster should be feeling that we have his and his son's best interests at heart.
Thus when he comes across some one with an equipment problem he will not hesitate to direct them here, thus this forum ultimately benefits.

You all surely have come through with some good ideas. I will keep an eye open through the end of the school year and pick up something between now & then. I figure a summer ought to me more than enough time to rebuild a mower.

primerbulb120

Threads
Most mowers don't need to be rebuilt, they just need some minor repairs and a tune up. Read these two threads:

lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/5601-my-lawn-mower-repair-thread-56k-warning.html

lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/24676-my-mower-repair-thread.html