Use block with chipped cylinder skirt?

panthersfan

Threads
Hello, I know that this isn't recommended but I am curious. Finding another block for this engine would be difficult and a short block is almost what the mower is worth. I have a Kohler CV15S-41594 that was given to me after the connecting rod broke and did some damage. The only damage I can see is obviously the connecting rod itself, it broke the camshaft in half, and took a chip out of the bottom of the cylinder skirt (see pictures).

Althoug the skirt is damaged, I'm wondering why I cannot reuse this block? The chip seems to be below the oil ring at the bottom of the revolution. What can happen if I do this?

Also, I have a block from a CV15S-41515 coming. I have some doubts about being able to use it since buying it. If anyone can give me a difinitive I would really appreciate it..

Attachments

• cylinder1.jpg
    cylinder1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 33
  • cylinder2.jpg
    cylinder2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

originalswampfox

Threads
Kohler makes a tough engine. Use your best judgment, if the rings don't come below the chip sand the edges of the chip smooth and let her go. I've done this on several engines and it always worked out fine. Just decide ahead of time if the cost is worth the risk. I might shorten the life of the engine somewhat by wearing the piston unevenly but as I said it has worked for me several times.

panthersfan

Threads
Thanks for the info and it's encouraging. If I move the piston up and down the cylinder I can feel the slightest drag at the bottom of the stroke. I think if I can sand it like you say it will go away. If it does, I can't imagine any damage happening to the piston (I hope). I think I may go for it, it was free, what do I have to lose... Well, maybe the cost of a new camshaft and connecting rod. :smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was mine I would use it. I have put car engines together like this and never had a problem. When you get the piston in and hooked up before putting the head on move the piston up and down make sure you get no bind.

panthersfan

Threads
I'm going for it. I really appreciate your input!

mullins87

Threads
You said you feel some resistance or drag at the bottom? I take it there are no obvious signs of damage to the bore. Have you honed the cylinder? Structurally speaking, I don't think that chip will effect the engine's performance or durability. If you are worried about it, clean it up and JB Weld it. I don't know if there is more than one variety of the stuff, but what I have has a 60,000psi shear strength to it.

panthersfan

Threads
I did feel a slight drag at the bottom but I took some sandpaper to it and it seems to be gone. I considered honing but the cylinder walls look great. I can clearly see the "cross hatch" from a previous hone.

When you say to use some JB weld, are you saying to apply it to the exposed areas at the chip? Not to the cylinder surface area itself right?

mullins87

Threads
Yes, only to the chipped area to help stabilize it.